OT car paint, clear coat, color coat

Says to put the clear coat on before the color coat. I thought it was the other way around. I would have thought the clear coat is shiny and color coat won't adhere to it well.

Also I thought the clear coat is the reason that paint jobs look better now than 30 years ago or so, especially wrt white cars. In the past white cars looked dull and dirty after a few years, but I've only washed my white car once in 5 years, it's a 2000, and the finish looks fine. I thought that's because of the clear coat, and if it's under the white paint, I don't see how it could help the appearance at all.

Q:How do you touch up the paint on your car? A:Quick Answer

To touch up the paint on your car, wash the vehicle, sand the blemished areas, apply a layer of clear coat, and apply the paint following the manufacturer's instructions. Then wax and buff the painted spots

Full Answer

Begin touching up the paint on your car by noting how many areas need a touch-up job and buying the paint quantity needed. Choose the correct paint shade using the shade chart of the car manufacturer. Normally, touch-up car paints are available in pint or quart-size aerosol cans. They are also available in bottles and as applicators to which a brush is attached.

After washing the car with clean water, allow it to air dry completely. Use a car paint sandpaper to sand the blemished areas.

Apply a clear coat to the blemishes, particularly those that are large in size, to act as a base for the paint. When using the touch-up paint, first test it on an inconspicuous spot on the car. Apply the clear coat on the test spot before applying the paint. Judge how glossy the paint is, and use the paint accordingly.

Follow the instructions given with the car paint since the method of the touch-up job varies between paint brands. When painting, move the hand back and forth to apply the paint evenly in straight lines. Overlap the bands of paint by one-half of each band width.

Wax the spots soon after painting, and buff to give the area a shine. If required, use a hair dryer over the painted spots to give them a glossy look. Avoid painting the car on a humid day.

Reply to
micky

Clear coat is applied at the factory over the base color but base coat is over rust proofing so maybe they mean to say provide a primer if these finishes are sanded off.

Reply to
Frank

See the full answer below. They are using the clear coat as you would a primer. Yes, it is a gloss paint but the color coat will still adhere to it if it is solvent based.

I did a touch up on my last car but just put the color and clear, no base. Blended in and was invisible as it was a fairly dark blue.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Makes perfect sense, since you are not using a base/clear touchup. Sanding to "level" the defect takes the shine off, so you put on a light coat of clear to re-seal the repair area and bring back the shine - yiou then use the "single stage" colour coat to do the repair. It shines by itself, without clearcoating..

Sometimes a lioght colour sanding with #600 paper (wet) and another light coat of clear before re-buffing is used.

Reply to
clare

Clearcoat isn't a primer. Se my earlier post re base/clear vs "single stage"

Reply to
clare

Clear coat on first, I can only assume it to seal old paint and retain basic color undercoat for final coat.

Normal I apply color coat over proper color primer, then while it's still tacky, apply clear coat. Using regular paint in cans, requires hardeners which at first make the paint thinner and flow nicely, but will dry and harden much more quickly. This paint, if you don't use hardener, can takes weeks or months before you can buff. Spray cans are often lacquer and need buffing after a week.

Greg

Reply to
gregz