OT - Browsers for Old Timers with Old OS's

Can anyone recommend a browser for Win 2000 more functional than IE6 or Firefox 12. Those are the latest versions available for Win 2000 and several issues browsing with both of them. Upgrading OS is not possible in this particular situation -- dealing with elderly folks in another city.

It's important that these folks keep internet access because it's the only outside resource many of them have. But upgrading to a newer OS is not something they can do without help.

I have searched online and no luck so far.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 10:02:36 AM UTC-5, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrote :

irefox 12. Those are the latest versions available for Win 2000 and severa l issues browsing with both of them. Upgrading OS is not possible in this particular situation -- dealing with elderly folks in another city.

y outside resource many of them have. But upgrading to a newer OS is not something they can do without help.

Opera will work on it...but I don't know anything about it?

Reply to
bob_villa

Firefox 12. Those are the latest versions available for Win 2000 and seve ral issues browsing with both of them. Upgrading OS is not possible in thi s particular situation -- dealing with elderly folks in another city.

nly outside resource many of them have. But upgrading to a newer OS is no t something they can do without help.

Some sites say Win 2K and others say XP compatibility...they ARE very simil ar!

Reply to
bob_villa

According to

Opera 12.10 beta (from October 2012, about 7 months later than Firefox 12) is the latest version to work with Windows 2000.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Most people in this situation just buy a new computer. It seems crazy, but new systems are pretty cheap.

If I had to support a system remotely, I'd install Linux. The average user won't be able to tell the difference.

Win 2K, as good as it was compared to some of it's predecessors, is a lost cause. Either upgrade the OS or live with what has been working.

You can call in Geek Squad or it's equivalent if you can't get there yourself.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Even some old computers off ebay can be bought very cheap with the OS installed. Have one shipped to you , install whatever is needed and reuse the old packing to send it to wherever it needs to go. I have bought several that way.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Newegg has a dell 745 for 79.99 with win7 and free shipping

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Wow, that would probably end up cheaper than calling geek squad for anything. I don't think you can even upgrade win2k to win7 for that price.

Reply to
Dan Espen

getting windows 7 is a barrier, I've been using linux Mint on some of my old computers. That one on newegg it's a slim one so only half cards .. but if person wants they can upgrade the ram and processor. Kind of trading dollars at some point but it's kind of fun to boost an old computer up to decent speed. search geekbench dell optiplex 745 to see what it takes.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

Microcenter (microcenter.com) is another good online source of rebuilt pcs at good prices. But if you have a local pc shop or better yet, an electronics recycling center nearby, they probably will have rebuilt or secondhand pcs for sale.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I am a long time user for Seamonkey.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'll second Microcenter

Reply to
Nemo

I assembled my own desktop when needed. Get barebone laptop, customize myself. It may cost more but I know inside out of them and have quality componewnts.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've got a Win2K box at work and it is what it is. Very few current programs will even install. Upgrading is problematic too, both because of the system requirements of the newer systems and unless you have a copy of the XP or 7 installation media stashed someplace or can find it online you're out of luck.

I can't recommend Linux either. disclaimer: I'm an old fart and I'm sending this from a OpenSUSE 13.2 machine but software is how I pay the rent. The new distros are a lot better but unless the Old Timers are computer literate, it isn't going to work.

Reply to
rbowman

That's so good to hear but I think the topic was old folks without much money.

Reply to
bubba

Might pose question to Firefox ng in news.mozilla.org Very helpful people there.

Reply to
Frank

I also get some useful broken stuffs cheap, fix it and give it to needy. Lot of people just buy new one when what they have is broken. Like a good laptop with broken LCD display I replace broken LCD. I have boxful of all kinda parts.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Charities in US will not take an old computer or TV even if they work fine.

Reply to
Frank

There are no "newer" browsers for Win2k.

The best bet is to take the suggestion to get one of those $80 Win7 machines.

Note: if they are on dial-up...of course check to see if the new computer even has a modem

The GUI can be set to "classic" and it will be fairly similar to the familiar Win2k desktop.

If they cannot afford $80, the only viable alternative would be Linux.

Reply to
philo

Recycle depot takes any thing electronic. Last year I fixed about 20 laptops. Gave away couple of them, sold the rest on Kijiji or eBay had good pocket money. Being retired I have time to do this. I just fixed a high end WiFi router which was not really broke but needed CFE reload to revive it using serial console and Jtag. This one is becoming my main router for my home network. Lots of fun.

Reply to
Tony Hwang