OT - Browsers for Old Timers with Old OS's

You might find something but the harsh reality is people with old computers and old operating systems seldom (if ever) make donations to the software authors.

Maybe check whitehouse.guv for a free ObamaBrowser?

Reply to
Setve

Suire they will.

They probably won't take a 100 pound tv, and maybe not a projection tv, but if the TV is portable without straiing, they'll take it.

Maybe they won't take a win98 computer,

Reply to
micky

Best Buy as a service to customers takes all used electronics. Wife gave them an old vacuum cleaner the other day but bought a new one at another store. I gave them three perfectly good CRT TV's.

Reply to
Frank

We have a Fry's a few miles away, haven't been there in years. How are they for rebuilt PCs? It's just about the same distance in a different direction to a Micro Center. Which of the two should I visit first?

Reply to
hrhofmann

On 06 May 2015, Frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

I looked into that a few months ago, and as I recall, it wasn't *ALL* used electronics. I had a 36-inch CRT TV, and they would not take it. It exceeded either their size or weight limit. Maybe they would have taken it if I had paid them to - I forget.

I eventually paid $20 to my town at their annual hazardous waste collection day. The TV was in perfectly good working order.

Reply to
Nil

Right.

I don't think so.

And they don't take things that are disassembled. Which I think in practice means things people tried to repair and then stopped in the middle .

Because it's so big, I'm not sure Goodwill or other charitable thrift stores woudl have taken it, but if they did, they woudl have sold it as a TV.

Reply to
micky

Is $99 too much?

Senator Pocketstuffer

That's what I thought until I picked-up a custom made PC (case, Asus M/B,w/

4Gb) from Goodwill...when I asked about policy, a manager said they take si ngle computers. I paid $8, and after a cleaning, re-doing CPU thermo-compou nd, adding: P/S, HDD, ODD, Vid card (scrapped parts)...I have a good perfor mer.
Reply to
bob_villa

On 07 May 2015, micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

I just looked at their rules, and Best Buy won't take any tube TVs larger than 32". My 36" one weighed well over 100 lbs, so I guess I can understand why they don't want to deal with it.

I hope it ended up still being used. I'd hate for a perfectly good, if slightly obsolete, TV to be destroyed,

Funny (to me) story. Since the TV was so big and awkward and heavy, I got a friend with a van to help me lug it down my front stairs and into the van and the collection site. We huffed and puffed and had to put it down once to rest. When we got to the site, I offered to help move it to their truck, but almost before I got the words out, this high- school-age kid had already bear-hugged the TV and hoisted it onto his shoulder all by himself.

Reply to
Nil

Our local recycle depot take in any thing small like old PC free but heavy stuff like CRT TV set, they charge 5.00 which is donated to charity. So whatever it is, it is a matter of taking it to them. Also Staples near my home accepts small things like printers, old monitors, used toner cartridges, etc. Then recycle depot truck collects them. In our city we have 3 trash carts supplied by the city. One for real trash, one for recyclable, one for organic waste like left over food stuffs for composting. Pick up date is fixed, once every week.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have 3 or 4 broken 19" CRT tvs that I may have fixed or may be cllose, but I've lost interest, and if I don't get them out of the house soon, like within the next 5 years, I'll be too weak to do it.

Plus a 23 or 25" CRT TV in the basement which isn't heavy but it's so big.

Reply to
micky

I've got a 30 year old Zenith 19-inch TV in the garage (for emergency hiding purposes). Hooked it up with one of those "free" govt A to D converters and it works just fine.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

are they for rebuilt PCs?

Wow! That's perfect. Thanks SP. Looks like that one is gone by now, but plenty of other under $150. This may not be fact, but I have heard so many bad stories about problems with upgrading or adding to Dell computers, I'll get something else.

I bought 3 "Great Quality" brand desktop PC's at Frys for $159-199 around 2003-4, installed Win2000 and never had one lick of trouble with any of them. Still using all 3 of them.

I also got a Great Quality laptop with XP on it later. The hinges fastening the display to the case were so tight, the plastic case broke within a few weeks. I took it apart and found the replacement parts on ebay, but ended up I just used some contact cement and worked fine. But the air circulation within the case was not good and pretty soon it was overheating and heading south. External fan would have been the thing to do, but didn't realize it until it was too late. Then soon after that, the system froze up and it became a paper weight. That's when I started looking to upgrade.

Since getting the Win 8.1, I have talked to everyone I know and no one so far has 8.1. None of the Win7 folks are sticking with it.

Which reminds me -- I have a Win 7 DVD around here somewhere. I hate to wipe a new OS, but that's what I'll do when I find it..... 8.1 seems to be getting harder and harder to use the more I work with it. To print files, the easiest way is to convert to PDF, uppload to a website with

2000, download to 8.1 and print.

Other things I don't like about this HP laptop -- it has a rear-facing camera. I taped over it but the lovely Miseries Snuffy still won't use it. Also, what I don't like is it (and the HP printer) have a wireless on/off key. I don't use any wireless due to security concerns here, but it's always getting turned on accidentally, both with laptop and printer.

Ah, the good old days of stupid phones, parallel printers that don't talk back, simple parallel scanners that SCAN every time. It sounds goofy, but, outside of videos and making it easy to spend money online, I can't see any improvements with basic, garden variety, no frills computing. I even still have an electronic typewriter that I can't use because it has a parallel port -- was super at printing on mutilpart forms, which was a breeze with the TI 99/4a! LOL!!

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Win 7 service pack 1 is as stable as XP was, and almost as simple to use. Win 8 and 8.1 are a totally different story. I've downgraded quite a few computers from 8X to 7, and have upgraded a few from XP to

7 as well. As for the camera and wifi you can very easily disable them from the control panel/device manager so they can never become a security issue. If the device driver is not enabled, they are just spare hardware bits sitting in the case.
Reply to
clare

How are they for rebuilt PCs?

[...]

Thanks for the info about Win 7. Two of my PC's have 2GB RAM. Fast enough to run Win 7?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

My .02 would be...adequate for W7 32-bit.

Reply to
bob_villa

Fast enough to run Win 7?

What's a .02?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

About .3 Mexico Peso

Reply to
bubba

or about .03c?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK, OK... I got it. The old Grecian urn trick. Second time I fell for that this week.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney