OT: Big govt will beat Zika

Watching the news the other night from FL, I got to see a good example of modern big govt in action. They showed code enforcement issuing tickets, not sure now if it was Miami or Wynwood, for illegal water on people's properties to combat Zika. They showed two tickets being given. One was a construction site where a cement truck was delivering cement. There was water dripping from the back of the truck and some water runnoff in the street from the site. Busted!

Next ticket was to someone renting an apartment where a window AC unit on the second floor was dripping water onto the street. WTF are you supposed to do about that? I can see going after people that have a kiddie pool full of green water, or old tires laying around, but a window AC? I've never seen mosquitos breeding in water like that on a hot sidewalk. A construction site where you're pouring cement, using some water and have some brief runoff?

IDK what you all think, but I think FL is screwed. They keep trying to claim that it;s just Wynwood, it's very limited, being contained, but then a mosquito flew across the causeway into Miami. Wow, who would think that would happen? Then they keep showing that map of Wynwood, with most of it still having Zika, but a small section being now declared Zika fee. IDK how one area can be clear, yet a block away it's not. And if it was possible to contain this, eradicate it, why after a month of bombarding Wynwood, a small area, with everything they have, does 90% of it still have Zika? Now they have a case in Tampa, one in Palm Beach, that are unexplained. Sounds to me like they are in big trouble and Micky better get ready to shutdown and flee.

Reply to
trader_4

The sooner Zika is prevalent in the entire country, the better. We will all get slightly sick as kids, and then be immune. The problem now is that nobody is immune, and some of those get pregnant and get Zika.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I am still waiting to see what happens when this spreads north. They are already saying the whole gulf coast is at risk and if this virus can survive in other types of mosquitos, the whole country might be at risk. The best we can hope for is one of those evil drug companies can come up with a vaccine and that the people will use it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Do you think the Zica virus is to convert human race into real zombies by attacking our brain structure? :)

Reply to
Mr. Man-wai Chang

don't worry. as soon as Palm Beach, Palm Springs or Beverly Hills get infected, there will be a sudden torrent of money from Congress

Reply to
ZZyXX

I don't think so. It would have to hit the slums of Chicago.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Definitely, but if a normal brain is required you would be immune.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Would that be Dirty Harry?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

They don't declare an area free until it's been free for 20 or 30 days, I forget the exact number.

Micky Mouse is my 7th cousin 45 times removed (Mice have babies when they are younger than when people do. We were both named after General Micky Lee (brother of R. E. Lee), our ggggggfather and gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggfather, respectively, and the hero of the battle of Chancellorsville.

Reply to
Micky

It will be interesting to see what happens. Did you all notice that there are no more stink bugs. Not last summer either.

At the end of last august I had to take out a screen and I haven't put it back, and I haven't seen a single mosquito here. I did swat one in Virginia, near the Appalachian Trail. This year I didn't close the screen in the other end of the house. It's amazing how few bugs fly into the house. Tonight I haven't seen more than one moth and one something else. It usually gets colder the day after Labor Day, but certainly within 4 weeks.

My friend who lives farther into the country either has more mosquitoes or she attacts them more, although not when she's walking 5 hours a week. Apparently she walks faster than they can fly.

Reply to
Micky