OT Baby RFID

In Carolyn Hax, the topic of an implanted chip in a baby, that shows up as a dot on a smartwatch, was raised. Do they have such things?

RFID requires a transceiver within a few feet, right?

So what would be used? Wouldn't it have to have a battery, that needs replacing fairly often?

If not for babies, what about for trump? Does he have something embedded in case he's slugnapped? How would they find him.

If there's a transmitter, can't the slugnappers find it first and remove it?

Reply to
micky

It would work like the EZ Pass. There are active chips with battery, passive chips, no battery.

Problem is, every time you take your kid near a toll booth you are charged $1 on your EZ Pass.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Raising kids really is expensive.

Reply to
Hawk

A few inches with the ones used in pets.

Tho with say dairy cattle it's a bit more than that.

Nope, the sensor powers the chip when it reads it with RF.

The battery powered ones used for tracking wild animals do have batteries and they do need to be replaced at some frequency but they are much bigger.

Yep.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That's what I'm thinking. I wonder if trump would agree to have one of those inserted, since it's so big and he has to have t he battery changed so often. So if he doesn't have one, and he's missing, maybe no one knows where he is.

I'm sure they'd think of that. Anyone who can't get that close to him is pretty clever. Or he's so crazy he might go off by himself, just to show the world how important he is, when many people are looking for him.

Reply to
micky

Stake out the KFCs.

That's what happens in the movies so it must be true.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

But the ones used to automatically bill cars on toll roads and bridges etc don't have a battery and do work over feet

More likely that he might with the ones used in cars.

There has been at least one individual who has chosen to have the chip used in chipped credit cards surgically inserted and those have no batteries.

In that case not crazy so much as attention seeking.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I had thought that, but it turns out the "EZ PASS" transponders do, indeed, have a battery.

(A couple of years ago they proactively replaced my unit saying it was time 'cuz battery life).

Reply to
danny burstein

He needs miles.

That's no good because the range is so small. They need something that they can find while flying over with a helicopter: better yet, a plane; better yet, a satellite.

meant to say "can"

Reply to
micky

There are two near me. One has that other chain mixed with it, the other doesn't.

I didn't even know about the movie. I guess I should be writing them.

Reply to
micky

That may be. Had one replaced a long time ago. I've had EZ Pass just over 19 years now and I'm on my second. Can be read at 80 mph though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski