What do they mean by a well-balanced hammer.

What do they mean by a well-balanced hammer?

Every hammer I've ever had was heavier at one end.

Reply to
micky

Who are "they?"

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Maybe

"The first consideration of anyone who knows their hammer is balance. The proper head-to-handle weight distribution is very important. When a hammer has good balance, it seems to swing itself. Good balance results in less stress on muscles and tendons, helping to eliminate common injuries associated with swinging a hammer."

Reply to
Anonymous

I don't know that it means a particular balance point as much as the feel of the swing. Some hammers of the same weight do feel better and make it easier to swing and puts more force on the nail. I've used some hammers that I could use all day, others that I'd not want to finish a nail with.

Of course, there are progressive and balance piano hammers too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Perhaps, but I wonder who micky means by "they."

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Everybody know "they" They are the ones that say to change your oil every 2000 miles. They say never order fish at a restaurant on Monday. They say don't go in the water after eating. They say feed a cold, starve a fever. Yep, that they.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doesn't matter. He's just a silly, persistent troll and for some reason, fools respond to his inane posts...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

A couple days ago I was just removing a nail from old 3/8' plywood, wasn't pushing it hard, but I still broke the wooden handle. I have other hammers but I don't know whether they are.

On Amazon, the cheapest handle was about $11, but there were hammers for $8. At Home Depot there were hammers for $6.50. At that price it must not be balanced, I figure, but I haven't used it yet.

I only have 10 pickets to replace so I can't use it all day, but I'll let you know if I can tell if it's hard or easy to swing.

I've replaced piano hammers. When I was in college we (we is the opposite of "they") had a broken piano, and the people at the piano company downtown gave me parts (hammers, felt, piano wire, everything I knew I needed except keys**) and instruction and one guy gave me his name to use so I could buy anything else at the piano parts store at 50% off. **And he told me to call the Lyon and Healy Piano Company. The woman on t he phone didn't even want me to come there. She just sent me, for free, a big envelope full of ivories and black keys, that they removed from other pianos they were refurbishing (or junking?) I fixed everything

Reply to
micky

They talk too much.

Reply to