OT Act Like You're Being Recorded When in the Heat of an Argument

When you find yourself in an argument, nothing helps more than keeping your cool. That's easier said than done, of course. Redditor platinum95 suggests you'll have an easier time if you pretend that somebody's recording you.

I found that I used to let my voice go high-pitched, I'd say some stupid things, make false points or let myself get worked up. But when I started acting like i was being recorded, I would stay a lot more calm, make more concise and generally better points, and generally seem smarter. It's made me a lot better at settling arguments.

While not something I've had an opportunity to test out, I think this is a really clever idea. I always make an effort to remain as calm as possible but sometimes slip up when I feel like I need to let the anger out?something that doesn't actually help, by the way. I plan to keep this trick in mind for the future.

This seems like really good advice. I hope I remember to use it next time the situation arises.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Sounds like a really good idea if you can remember to use it when you are really worked up.

Reply to
hrhofmann

On Friday, September 20, 2013 8:31:18 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote :

really worked up.

The basic, basic, basic is to stop and take a few long, deep breaths. Then , when you're sufficiently oxygenated, ask yourself what would be the conse quences if...

In fact, "what if" is the basic of science and critical thinking.

But individuals (largely male) who lack impulse control can't usually get t o "what if"; they are totally in the moment. This works fine in war, when you don't have time to figure out who/why somebody is shooting at you. However, in civilian life, lack of impulse control causes terrible problems up to & including death. This has in recent years been intensively studie d, and actual regions of the brain have been identified that govern control .

Sorry, I wandered away from just argument to more serious conflict.

Re: Argument, I used to bust my buns trying to present evidence/facts to pe rsuade my vis-a-vis. Now I try to psyche out whether they would even *cons ider evidence/facts*, or whether they're so wedded to their doctrine that s uch efforts would be fruitless.

But let's not abolish arguments!!! What a dull world if everyone thought t he same way; marched in lockstep. Hmmm...why did I suddenly think of one P arty in Congress...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson