OT: A house that won't sell

And you keep coming back to life! WHAT IS YOUR SECRET???

What does your wife have to say about it. Please tell me she has not threatened to flush your ground up bones down the toilet!

You did the right things. People looking at a house where closets are full and stuff is stored outside closets will think the house lacks storage space. One of our sons did the same when he sold his to move to a much larger house.

I saw a small town house for sale once with a basement filled to the ceiling with empty jars that the elderly woman selling it had saved. That was a big turn off.

Reply to
Frank

Only for the stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I am the savior. They keep crucifying me, at least on Usenet.

... or maybe I have just spread the ashes of 3 family members. Wherever the grammar takes you. Now I am going to go turn the Gulf of Mexico into wine and take a walk to Texas.

Reply to
gfretwell

They would still be out in the yard. I am not averse to a burial at sea ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

The standard process for a realtor here is to rent a dumpster and hire a few day laborers to throw everything in the house into it. Then they clean and paint as part of their "staging" fee. It makes that personalized, full of junk un sellable house marketable. They did it to the house next to me and added $30,000 to the value for a few grand.

Reply to
gfretwell

Well the other half of this is that I was paying $300 for a 6-room,

3-bath 1400 sq. ft. apartment. 2 baths with big deep bathtubs**. Cedar closet, hardwood and parquet floors. **I ran my outboard motor in one of them.

That was a fair rent when I moved in, but he only raised the rent once in 11 years. And by 1983, $330 for an apartment that size was an enormous bargain

I never understood why he didn't raise the rent more than once. The 9th or 10th year he raised it to 330, and because of Rent Stabilization, he was only allowed to raise it so much. The years he could have raised it but didn't didn' allow him to raise it more later. But he must have known than.

Once, before he'd done most of the things that made me dislike him, I saw him in the first floor hall and he said, "I'm going to have to raise your rent," and I said "Oooh" sort of sadly, but I didn't object, and nothing more happened for 6 years.

I didn't call him for repairs, except once I broke the kitchen window but shutting the window when the charcoal lighter fluid was still burning on the patio. The patio was a board 2 feet wide by 1 foot deep that I nailed to the window sill outside the kitchen window Used it 50 times and only broke the window once.

I also didn't call him at home or at night like I gather some of the angry tenants did. I'm sure he didn't like calls in the middle of the night.

I did rent strike 3 times, got money back once, and a final settlement the last time, where he paid me to move. (I suppose so he could illegally raise the rent more than the law allowed. After I left I found he tried to illegally split the apartment into two.)

As to the water pressure, I was already on a hill, Clinton Hill, and I was on the 5th floor of a 6-story building. Buildings that high were by code built with a water/air tank. There was a water pump to fill the tank from below and an air pump to fill it with air from above. Once full, the air pressure was designed to push the water quckly to the sixth floor. But eventually the air would get dissolved in the water and the air pump was supposed to turn on automatically and replenish the air. Only the air could be compressed and then expand quickly enough to push enough water. When there was little air in this tank, the water pump would continue to run (all the time iirc) but flow to upper floors was limited. Because he didn't understand this, I think he had disconnected the airpump. I went to the library and found a book, with a diagram that explained it, made a copy and sent it to him. But it didn't help.

This meant that when someone flushed the toilet -- using a flushometer, not a toilet-tank -- it lowered the cold water pressure to my shower and the water turned too hot. If I allowed for that, then the water was too cold. So I switched to taking baths that I like better anyhow, especially in that tub which was so big I could float inthe tub with only one square inch of my tush on the bottom. I had to diable the overflow, but I never let the tub run over and two days before Imoved out, I re-enabled the overflow.

Downtown NYC was the 5th stop on A train. When I was late to work, they also figured it was the train, but since it was only 5 stops, it was never the train. But I didn't tell them that. Sometimes I road my bicycle over the Brooklyn Bridge. Joined a gym in lower Manhattan to shower before I went to work.

Reply to
micky

¡Ay, caramba!

I was using the term "ashes" metaphorically. I despise the word "cremains".

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I only mentioned it because a lot of people do not realize that after they burn your body, your skeleton is left. They then take the skeleton and grid it into a powder that they give back as ashes, which they are not.

Me too. I don't like "remains" either. Body and ashes. (not that I will be cremated, but other people are.)

Reply to
micky