Opinions on Troybilt gear

I am just wondering what the general impression of Troy Bilt gear is? Specifically chain saws. Not sure, but this may just be a Canadian brand name. Just wondering the quality of product they distribute.

thanks

Reply to
Jon

Years ago, before MDT bought the name, I would have rated them highly. Now I would rate them as average and I don't think much of average in the home garden tool market.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Go to the place where you would go to buy a replacement chain and spark plug for your chainsaw. Don't buy any brand/model they don't stock the parts for.

Reply to
RayV

Never heard of a Troy Built chain saw and agree with Mr. Meehan's observation. it is best to buy what your local independent dealer sells. I have owned 3 Stihls and they have a large following. Husquavarna is another well respected brand. Poulan is another name which comes to mind but what's important is who stocks parts for it and can provide service.

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks all for your opinions.

Reply to
Jon

MTD devalued troy built.

Theree the same as MTD sears etc with the exception of minor details like a slightly larger engine.

troy built name isnt worth paying more its the cadillac of the GM line

Reply to
hallerb

Troy-bilt used to be a great company with a superior product. I live about 20 miles from Troy NY, and have several friends who used to work for the company as computer geeks. The company either merged or was purchased some years ago, and their reputation has gone steadily downhill ever since. I've never owned their products, so I can't say. As always, YMMV.

Hilary

Reply to
hilary