only a single key and remote for my Ford Taurus??

The reason for the subject mentioned question was because today, upon attempting to enter my '03 Taurus wagon, I did as I always do and pressed the unlock button on the remote... but, for the first time ever, it wouldn't open the car. Suspecting a dead battery in the remote, I went back into Walmart to get a pack of 2032 batteries and replaced the one in the remote. Nothing happened, so my next suspicion was maybe corrosion between the terminals and battery, so I disassembled and carefully used a knife to scrape at the terminals the best I could but it wasn't very effective. However, the car then opened by the remote. When I got home, I took a box cutter knife and did my best to scrape the battery terminals further. It seemed to help and the remote now works like it did before. However.....

Not being so sure this might not happen again, I searched all over for the key to open the doors. All I could find was a spare attached to an extra remote, but all that did was start the car. The question is: Is there supposed to be two keys with my car, or is the starting key and remote all that I'm supposed to have? I inherited the car, so I'm not sure. I would like to get a key for the doors if possible so I'm not locked out again.

Reply to
BillyBob

It should be the same key. A long time ago GM and maybe Ford used 2 keys but not in 03. It is possible that the ignition cylinder was replaced and they didn't get one keyed like the old one or there is something wrong with the door lock. Does the passenger side work the same way?

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, the engine was replaced in 2005 after my dad inadvertently added antifreeze to the oil (he was starting to get dementia), so maybe something wasn't done at that time that should have been? Anyway, there's no key entry on the passenger side, only the driver side.

The remote seems to be working fine now, but I wish I knew how to better clean the inside battery contacts. The knife was scraping, but there was a lot of flexure on the tiny contacts so I was afraid to apply too much pressure. The auto store has an electronic cleaner spray, but it's like $8 for a can, so hoping for something cheaper and DIY.

Reply to
BillyBob

Pencil eraser or better, one of those gray "typing" erasers.

Reply to
gfretwell

Does the key open the trunk?

Reply to
gfretwell

If you think $8 is expensive, don't even think about replacing the remote.

Reply to
rbowman

You can get contact cleaner cheaper at Radio Shack.

Oh, well, you could. You still can at Amazon, I'm sure. It's not really an auto part, so they're going to charge more at an auto store. Actually I'm surprised the contacts were dirty enough that cleaning made a difference. I wonder where the fob has been.

But what I'd do is buy more keys and remotes. They used to cost a fortune, but now they have remotes at 2 fobs and 2 keys for $25. I'd get at least two, maybe 3 or 4.

Taurus although another model fit 2008-9 Taurus X. I hope that doesn't seem like a contradiction.

If I've made a mistake here, also check ebay and google itself for other offers.

I gather you still have two ignition keys so you'd better do this before you lose one because " The key is user programmable if user has 2 original keys. Without 2 original keys user must have new keys cut and programed by a locksmithg or dealership. " Remote is user programmable [even if you only have one now] with provided step-by-step instructions.

Instructions are also on the web, for free, and once in a while they vary from what comes with the key or fob. Of course I've only dealt with Chrysler and Toyota.

Be sure to program the key before you have it cut, because if for some reason you can't program it, you don't want to spend money having it cut**. I guess iirc to test if you've actually programmed it, you want to get a non-chip key made, that will turn in the ignition but will not start the car, unless a chip key is held near the ignition keyhole. But then the problem could be that you have your working chipkey on the console or in your pocket. I don't know how far away the chipkey has to be no longer work, maybe only a foot, or three, but since I don't know, I made sure all my chipkeys were not even in the car,

**(Plus you can't return it if you have had it cut, though I've done this for three cars, maybe 10 keys and 8 fobs total, and everything worked, even if I had to try several times to follow the instructions quickly enough. One time I had to do it 5 or 6 times to get it right. Actually, it would help to have someone reading you the instruction while you're doing it, so you dont' waste time and you don't get confused. You'll see what I mean when you read them.)

I tried to buy for the next car from the same company as the prior car, because I knew they worked, but they didnt' have it. The other ones still worked.

Reply to
micky

P.S. The new fob will probably look like the old fob. At least they did for me. But the vendors seem trustworthy, at least the ones with good ratings.

I think the locksmith charged about $10 to cut each key. I went to a good place because the blanks are fairly expensive and I'd have to mail order again etc. if one were fouled up.

The non-chip key you can probably get from Home Depot, or a locksmith. It will be thin because there is nothing inside, there is no inside. A non-chip key might be useful later also because it can open the door, the trunk, the console or glove box, but it can't start the car. (FWIW, if you ever break a key, you can use the head of a chipkey with a non-chip key and that will start the car.)

I buried a non-chip key on my property and put a real key in the trunk. I hope I don't live to somehow regret that, but based on my prior mistakes it seems safer than the alternative.

Reply to
micky

Of course I mean all the OTHER chipkeys are not in the car. The one I think I just programmed is next to the ignition keyhole. If you've done

2 or 3, you can only have one at a time in the car, the one being tested, or the one good one will make it seem like the bad one is good.
Reply to
micky

Are you afraid some illegal welfarecrat will steal your car? You don't like lazy welfarecrats stealing what is yours?

I can imagine your anger if they stole part of your paycheck every week. LOL

Reply to
tax.payer

Check your local Ace Hardware. The one in my hometown makes and programs keys.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

His issue seems to be opening the door and that key does not need a chip. If his "ignition" key also won't open the trunk, it is very likely the ignition lock was changed and does not match the door locks. He could take the trunk cylinder to a locksmith and get a key made I suppose but if a few bucks for contact cleaner is out of his budget that locksmith would be "win the lotto" time for him.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've never heard of a CR2032 battery leaking but if the battery was 16 years old, anything is possible.

Reply to
Barb

Such things are often very cheap on the internet, and sometimes there are cheap ways to get the replacements programmed/cut. You may need an origional to do it, however.

Reply to
Bob F

Same key for ignition and doors. Take out the lock cyl and replace - have locksmith re-key the cyl to match ignition.

Reply to
Clare Snyder