On topic :-) Garbage disposal locking up

I am having problems with my disposal locking up.
I free it up using either an allen wrench from the bottom and also using a socket from above.
But a day later, it locks up again. I could see nothing jammed in the blades?
Any ideas?
Thanks, Andy
alt.home.repair:

I just replaced my disposal a few days ago. It had been sounding weird for the past couple of months so I suspected something was up. Then last week it started acting similar to what you describe - it would stop grinding, but the motor was still groaning and laboring. I rotated it with the allen wrench and it would run for a little while then stop again. As far as I could tell, there was nothing actually jammed in there. Then the motor finally gave up the ghost for good. I think it just plumb wore out from age. The thing is at least 10 or 15 years old, and I figured that's all I could really expect out of it so I replaced it. My instinct told me it wasn't practical to fix it. My new one supposedly has a 10-year warranty.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 16:00:38 -0800 (PST), Andy

My guess is it's something small, but not positioned to go down the drain.
?? Take out the disposal, turn it upside down and shake it?? Wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't work, although you could hot wire it and test it before re-installing.
Still, they're pretty cheap and almost all fit in the same bracket in the sink. In fact you can probably buy the very same model, or at least one the very same size which connects to the pipes in the very same way. iIRC 90% are made by insinkerator, even if sold under other names.
If you have the other 10%, even they might use the same bracket -- check -- but if it has the allen wrench hole in the bottom, I think that's an insinkerator clue.
The first time mine broke, for fun if nothing else, I spent a lot of time trying to take it apart. I coudln't do so in a way that would have permitted re-assembly. IIRC I got nowhere.
I found it hard to install, to lift with my arms extended and then twist, and ended up using a little floor jack underneath it. Maybe I put books under the rear wheels. (One of the cheap little ones. A much bigger one woudln't fit) It made it much, much easier. I've done it this way more than once.
On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 7:00:41 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

Once you free it up, does it then spin freely or is there friction? Could be the bearings are rusted up, failing. Also, any noise when it runs that would indicate something could be in there? If there is no noise from anything in there and it doesn't spin easily, I'd say time for a new one. How old is it?
Another thing, if you try to free it up and are turning it in the direction it normally goes, if there is something blocking it, then I would think you couldn't turn it that direction. But if it's bearings that are seizing, then with some force you could. And tried in the reverse direction, if it's a block, then it should turn easily, if it's bearings it will require force in either direction. That's assuming it's some hard object that would be blocking it. I suppose it could get fouled with something that isn't hard, but instead stringy or similar, in which case I guess it would be the same difficulty in either direction.
On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 8:25:09 AM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:

It spins freely in both directions.
It is at least 8 years old, so motor could be going bad.