On topic :-) Garbage disposal locking up

I am having problems with my disposal locking up.

I free it up using either an allen wrench from the bottom and also using a socket from above.

But a day later, it locks up again. I could see nothing jammed in the blades?

Any ideas?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy

On 07 Jan 2019, Andy snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I just replaced my disposal a few days ago. It had been sounding weird for the past couple of months so I suspected something was up. Then last week it started acting similar to what you describe - it would stop grinding, but the motor was still groaning and laboring. I rotated it with the allen wrench and it would run for a little while then stop again. As far as I could tell, there was nothing actually jammed in there. Then the motor finally gave up the ghost for good. I think it just plumb wore out from age. The thing is at least 10 or 15 years old, and I figured that's all I could really expect out of it so I replaced it. My instinct told me it wasn't practical to fix it. My new one supposedly has a 10-year warranty.

Reply to
Nil

The cutting jaw blades wear out. Have you tired a broom stick to move them around from the jamming...

Reply to
Oren

I will try that and see.

Reply to