I had a trusty 6K btu LG built Sears Window AC that quit this year
(might be fuse(s) or OLP (can't find them yet). But when
disassembling it I noticed that the squirrel cage fan and internal
ducting seems to be covered in what to me looks like mold.
A couple of questions:
1) what would cause mold to attach to those areas?
2) is there anything that can be done to remediate the existing mold?
3) what, if anything, could be done to prevent this in the future
including with new ac units?
Thanks - I'm just curious.
Mold is in the air. The blower moves air. AC units have lots of water from
condensation. Mold likes moisture.
Could be mold, could be dust, could be a combination,. Clean filter
regularly, disinfect while you are at it.
It's likely not mold, but clean & oil anyway.
Preventive maintenance done at end of EVERY season!! It's probably covered
with airborne dust & dirt. Check manual or get a manual. I'll bet you've
let it go untouvhrf for years, right? That's a big no-no. Also clean fins of
dust & dirt & bend back if bent up.
On Sep 25, 6:51 pm, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
to be more efficient in dissipating heat, some modern window air
conditioners have the fan splashing in the water that in older designs
would have drained away.
1) mold is just doing its job and grows wherever your climate
conditions will allow it.
2) bleach kills mold instantly, read the label on tilex shower spray
(bleach around 3 percent). refill with diluting your Clorox from its 6
percent by using half bleach and half water in your tilex trigger
sprayer. trigger sprayers get eaten by bleach, so replace sprayer when
spray is rust colored.
3) at the sacrifice of energy efficiency and at the sacrifice of
cooling you can examine the base of the unit for a drain hole, perhaps
featuring a plastic plug, perhaps hidden in dirt or mold, and add a
drain tube if needed to direct the condensate away.
Note the price of replacement air conditioners is often quite
reasonable and may include fresh air intake lever, multiple speeds,
digital temperature control with remote control, and optional electric
Thanks all who replied.
I've disassembled much of the unit and located at least one blown
fuse. Before reassembly a thorough cleaning will be performed (with
the diluted bleach). Even though I've ordered a new replacement nit,
keeping this one working will allow use in other rooms. Thanks again.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.