Some more electrical questions for bath reno

These are some pics of the gutted bathroom I'm renovating, with the last pic showing a tub I installed. Going from left to tight will be a toilet, vanity sink, and the tub.

1) With regard to putting a GFI outlet by the vanity, I was questioning to put it on the left side or the right side of the vanity. Any issues if I mount it to the right of the vanity, within arms reach of the shower (is it code)? Or am I better off mounting it on the left side by the toilet?

2) When mounting a box above the medicine cabinet for the vanity light, is an octagon box used, or can I just use an outlet box mounted sideways as I've seen in the past?

3) If I'm putting a Hi-hat in the shower (8 foot high ceiling), does it need to be GFI? I thought I read somewhere as long as your using the correct lens/baffle it does not need to be GFI.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Reply to
Mikepier

There is no problem being "near" the tub as long as the receptacle is not in the tub space. Why not put one on both sides. Nobody ever complained about having too many receptacles. Think about chargers and such along with that ubiquitous hair dryer so you probably want one serving any counter space you have.

Most lights expect a round/octagon box. Usually a hickey will work in either tho.

If you have a wet location trim you don't need GFCI unless the manufacturer says so in the installation instructions. There is no real good reason not to tho. I left the original non-gfci overhead light and picked up the new cans, including the shower, on the dedicated 20a gfci. That way it is not dark in there if the GFCI trips.

Reply to
gfretwell

*It is supposed to be within 3' of the sink edge. Put it where it is the safest.
*You can use a switch box if it is approved for lighting fixture support. However it will be easier to mount a light fixture on a round (Octagon) box.
*The GFI requirement would be specified by the manufacturer. Use a trim that is approved for showers.
Reply to
John Grabowski