Old Threads

I set up the projector, and then went to lunch with my Mom. I'll catch the second session at the chapel. No worries, I'll be fine. You know I'm fine as long as I don't curse and all that crap.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That sure would keep me out of trouble. I used to love tube testing. These new chips are no fun.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, prior to then, it was very hard to tell a blonde from a redhead. The second's hair was just a shade or two darker.

Also, it led to many mistaken deaths during the Civil War.

Reply to
micky

You seem like a smart guy. The recruiter told me I was probably smart and could get assigned to missiles in Turkey or Germany. I don't know because I failed the physical.

Where did they assign you?

Reply to
micky

As my mother and many people put it, We're going to wait until color is perfected.

IIRC, the Sony Trinitron had the first reliably good color convergence, but other makers caught up.

LOL

I first saw a touch-tone phone at a farm show in 1957. It was a long time before Bell Telephone was offering them. One model had plastic cards,sort of the size of credit cards, with 11? rows of holes for each of the 10 buttons. You'd push the card into the phone, and when ready to dial, push a button and the card would pop out, "dialing" numbers as is went.

Reply to
micky

Picture of Card Dialer here:

Retired

Missiles in Germany.

At the end of basic training I was told that I'd be in air defense artillery and would not be needed in Vietnam. I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I drove a tracked missile launcher:

Most of the people in my unit were drafted out of engineering or technical schools. Even though we had college deferments, they drafted anyone who ...in their words...were not serious students.

I was going to appeal, but truth is, they were right. I figured I might as well just get it over with.

We were thankful for not being shipped off to Vietnam...but at the same time, we felt kind of useless over in Germany...merely showing the USSR our presence.

With the recent events in the Ukraine I now realize that if we were not there, the USSR would have just marched right in...so possibly we did some good after all.

Even in 1970, the effect of WW-II was still present. One thing I really noticed is that there were almost no men of my father's age. Most were killed in the war or figured out a way to get the hell out of there.

Reply to
philo

Hey, lets co author a book. Bravo!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll send you the answers real soon. Leave your fax machine on.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

Because you shot it while dressed in an Elvis cape?

I have this very model TV -- from 1976, and watch it in the garage (who's going to steal it?). It hasn't needed a repair in 10-12 years. OTOH the digital tuner box on top of it failed in its first 2 years. And yes, the TV cabinet is genuine fake wood grain.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

The TV I threw out was pretty much like that.

No fake wood grain though, all plastic.

Too bad about the fat Elvis, he was better back in the 50's

Reply to
philo

iirc, the Bell Pavillion at the 1964 New York World's Fair had a kiosk where you could race each other to see which was faster, the rotary phone or the new fangled touch-tone.

Reply to
rbowman

Don't laugh. We had a minor crisis last month when we upgraded a client's server to Server 2012. There is an applicatiob, VSI-FAX, whose claim to fame is you can automate sending reports by fax, but the version they had wouldn't work on the new OS. Most of the reports were being emailed, but they still had a few jurisdictions clinging to their fax machines.

Reply to
rbowman

I remember those, in new magazines.

Darn right. I have MeTV now, a broadcast channel, no cable needed,, and the many of the scripts for Wagon Train are really good. Many of the westerns have real suspense, when one can think of more than two endings from any particular point, or something goes wrong and they have to try something else. It's not obvious.

Leave it to Beaver is excellent, both scripts and acting, especially by the Beaver and Wally.

I guess Combat was from the 60's but it has good scripts and acting and is almost real enough to make one hate war.

Lots of other good shows, but since I record 5 hours of Wagon Train and

5 hours of Beaver a week, I don't have time to watch much more.
Reply to
micky

Sho' 'nuff.

Thanks.

Of course that phone had 12 buttons and originally touch-tone had only

10.
Reply to
micky

Sounds right. Maybe they spent the 7 years in between fixing up the exchanges so they could process touch-tone dialing.

Reply to
micky

What I've found amazing is that the exchanges still maintain rotary / pulse compatibility.

Joe, N6DGY

Reply to
Joe Bento

I still have a slim-line touch tone phone in my shop. Looks just like this...

I don't use it very often anymore, in fact we hardly use our land line for much other than taking messages from robocallers. I will call out on the landline if I know I will be on hold for a while. No sense using up minutes on my cell listening to lousy music. We have a cordless set so I can still get stuff done while on hold.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I was discussing this on Facebook. When the ground tracking stations were switching from goldstone ca. To Australia as the earth turned, they started tracking there. Actually a large non nasa dish down there was also tracking which could get a better signal. One of the stations began video taping from a camera aimed on the main slow scan monitor. Recently they were looking for the original slow scan data tape of the event. There was a large search. They found out it was erased to save taping costs. The backup video recording was resurrected. It was this which was used on a NASA special. The image on everyone's tv was not nearly as good as original downloads in real time. Remembering 6 astronaut moon landings.

The movie, the dish, had some of the replay of the stations activities.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Just for fun, we used to dial our touch tone phones in rotary mode by tapping off hook switch rapidly.

353:

Wait for dial tone, then: tap tap tap pause tap tap tap tap tap pause tap tap tap, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03