Old Threads

"black and while" is extraneous they didn't know about color TV in the olden times.

BTW: I wonder how many here knew about the very early TV's

philo

Back in those days, just having a TV was so amazing no one even thought about color. When color TV's were first available they were very expensive and the quality was poor...so most people stayed with B&W.

Color TV's did not become popular until the late 60's when the price dropped and the quality rose.

BTW: My father told me he first saw television in 1949. He watched a boxing match on (probably) an 8 inch screen and did not think TV was going to catch on.

Reply to
philo

Which tube should I replace, in my black and white TV?

How can I get a new needle for my phonograph?

How can I clean the heads on my eight track player?

What can I use, to clean the nib on my quill pen? It's stainless, with a split tip.

How does one clean the touch hole of a flintlock?

What's the best brand of pooper scooper for my dinosaur?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try the 6AU6 as that is one of the more common ones to go.

We used to pull the tubes and take them to a Pep Boy store where you can test them and buy a replacement. That is a real number that popped out of a cell way back in my brain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The horizontal output tube 12CU6

Chuck up a 4d finish nail in your drill and grind a nice point on it then cut to size.

Long Q tip type swab and alcohol

Hot water

Touch hole pick.

Just use a lawn bag, turned inside out over both hands.

Reply to
gfretwell

Remember the old Calvin and Hobbes comic about the invention of color? The world didn't turn to color until about 1930, and it was a pretty grainy color too, for a while.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bento

I don't recall that, but as a young kid I recall watching the Wizard of Oz for the first time on a B&W tv.

When a big deal was being made of everything turning to color I did not know what was going on it all looked the same to me.

Seeing that in a movie theater back in 1939 would probably have been pretty impressive though!

Reply to
philo

I'd not considered that, about them not knowing about color. I guess that's part of the problem of living in the first United States.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's the best solar-powered downdraft vent for my outhouse?

Reply to
Bubba

My brother still has the photos he took of the B&W footage of the first moon landing in 1969. He started planning the project about a month in advance by taking pictures of the TV in various lighting conditions, keeping a log of what set up he used for each picture on the roll. He then sent them out to be developed and compared the results to his log so he would know the best lighting to use on July 20.

He then sat in front of the TV snapping picture after picture. My, how things have changed!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What is this "solar power" you speak of ? Mine is wind-driven ;-)

BTW, my windmill-powered wi-fi router is too slow for Netflix streaming. I have a creek (stream ?) nearby, would a water-wheel version be any better ?

Reply to
Retired

Hey Stormin... You should be watching General Conference, not posting on Usenet. :-)

Reply to
Joe Bento

My uncle was in the business so we had one very early. I can't remember the brand, but it was a bulky countertop model with a maybe a 8" screen, not the furniture types that TVs became later in the '50s. We were also lucky to have a local channel, WRGB. That had grown out of W2XB, an experimental station at General Electric Schenectady that had first broadcast in 1928.

When color first came out, it drove my uncle nuts. Those were still the days when TV repairmen made housecalls and could often fix the set in place. The biggest problem was adjusting the color controls so Uncle Milty's face wasn't magenta. It required a certain artistic flair that's never run in the family.

There was also a scam that ran in the magazines of the day. For an amazingly low price you could colorize your existing black and white TV. It consisted of a plastic overlay you stuck to the screen. The picture was in color, but what color was another story.

My memories of '50s TV programming was it was superior to most of what you see today. I wrote it off as the nostalgic memories of a young kid where everything was bigger and shinier. However, after watching DVDs of some of the old broadcast shows, I really thing they were better than the current drivel.

Reply to
rbowman

Some academics came up with the theory that the Greeks were more or less color blind. Part of it was Homer only mentions three colors and babbles about the 'wine red sea'. This was reinforced by the Greek statuary that was unadorned marble.

The latter idea was blown away by more sophisticated analyses of the statues. It seems they were originally painted with pigments that would make Mexican religious statuary look conservative.

Reply to
rbowman

My uncle was in the business, so when we'd go up to his place he'd plunk me in front of the tube tester with a box of tubes he'd pulled from dead receivers. I thought it was a big deal and it kept me out of trouble while the adults drank beer and shot the breeze.

Reply to
rbowman

This was one of my regulars of the time:

So I agree with you...the commercials as part of the episode was upsetting...but interesting in a nostalgic way!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

IIRC, many of the tapes were re-used and would have been lost for good if other countries had not recorded the event.

As to those photos your bother took from the TV screen, they are probably valuable collector's items and I'd be /very/ much interested to know if any are available. I am a photography curator and will be doing a show in October. Please email me if your brother would allow the display of copies of those photos.

My wife is a gallery director and she allows me to curate a photography show every 18 months

my gmail addy is philo565

Also: In the early days before video tape, shows were recorded by filming right off a studio monitor. Kinescope recording was quite poor.

Finally: All my life I had waited for the day man would go to the moon. Unfortunately that day was spoiled by the fact that I was inducted into the US Army the next day. I assumed I was going to soon be killed in Vietnam.

Reply to
philo

Very interesting post there. I threw out my TV 25 years ago and don't miss it.

Interestingly I recently watched a few old movies that Lucille Ball was in and she was really a great actress. She usually played an intelligent red head rather than a dumb blond. She also felt that a part was a part and was not afraid later to do comedy.

I read her (dictated) autobiography and the Lucy- Desi team had a real interest in quality. Desi Arnaz filmed all the shows so that when they were rebroadcast they'd be of higher quality as compared to Kinescope. Since it required film editing and splicing it would have been more difficult and expensive I'd imagine.

Desilu was responsible for a lot of good programming

BTW: Just because TV is pretty much a vast wasteland, that is not to say all TV programming is bad. My wife and I have seen Big Bang Theory and

30 Rock and really like those shows.
Reply to
philo

Most people find TV commercials annoying. Oddly though, when I went to England a number of years ago I found the commercials vastly entertaining. Though they were no doubt annoying to the English, I looked at them as an outsider and they seemed so over the top I oculd only view them as humor.

When I got home I changed my perspective and just told myself when watching them, this is being done as a complete parody and I actually was able to enjoy them for a short time.

The last time a watched TV though I was disgusted with the commercials they were just plain gross...I won't elaborate.

Reply to
philo

I live at "ground zero" and in fact commute to work each day 30 miles to downtown Salt Lake.

Here, all the sessions are shown on broadcast TV. Right now between sessions, there's an interesting program about BYU Jerusalem and life in the ancient city.

Enjoy your day.

Joe, N6DGY

Reply to
Joe Bento