Old GE range schematic

One would think there would be the proverbial "veritable plethora" of such readily available on web by search but I can find precious little and nothing of actual use.

Looking for schematic for old GE model BV42G 001AD free-standing range. Trying to troubleshoot problem with self-clean cycle not starting owing to the door lock solenoid not powering. The solenoid itself is ok; works fine when apply voltage, it's just not getting the signal.

Trying to decipher if issue is in the timing or the other interlocks but difficult to trace wiring to tell just what is in conjunction with what...there's an interlock to temperature to not let it unlock when it's cooling, but shouldn't be anything preventing it when starting.

It was intermittent for a while but now can't get it at all so if knew the sequence should be able to work way through pieces to get to the end and find the missing piece, _if_ I could find the wiring of what all is in the circuit to begin with...

I did just find a link from GE to submit request to for missing schematics so I did but I'm guessing they're going to tell me that the range in question is so old they no longer have the data on file...bought a service manual couple years ago; it doesn't have schematics with it.

And no, they're not inside some service panel or on the inside or any such thing; I've had it completely apart that there are no other hidden places to hide them... :)

Reply to
dpb

Did you try looking for a schematic for a similar model? Usually they are wired similarly. I did that for my Kitchenaid Fridge, which like' yours had no schematic behind the panel. I couldn't find a schematic for it either, even though it's only 5 years old. But I found one for a model that was close. Seemed to match as far as I got, which wasn't that far because it turned out to be a bad receptacle. That's another story.....

Reply to
trader_4

On 01-Oct-17 3:46 PM, trader_4 wrote: ...

Well, how did you determine "close"?

And, truthfully, I've not found a single schematic at all which just blows me away -- you'd think folks would put 'em up by the droves; they post everything else whether of any interest or not.

Reply to
dpb

On 01-Oct-17 2:54 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Sorry, missed leading 'J' in the model number -- JBV42G001 is series; the AD is almond color (indicative of age :) ). There were, it appears a 001, 002, 003, 004 series as well; I've no idea what differences might be.

Reply to
dpb

.. worth a pretty penny in 1983 if it's the model with the microwave :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Ayup, that's it...this one was built Sept 1980

Wonder if he still has it in stock... :)

Reply to
dpb

What about not hidden at all but on the back?

Reply to
micky

Back in 1967, a college friend had a summer job working at Western Electric, packing rebuilt phones.

He asked his boss if there was a schematic of the phone, and his boss told him it was all handed down verbally!

So he found one in the trash and spent every lunch hour taking it apart and drawing the schematic**. At the end of the summer the same boss brought him a schematic of both the dial and the touchtone phone. I had a copy for 20 or 30 years and I don't know what happened to them.

**Which is not easy since none of the parts in the silver box have meaningful markings. They're all white (covered in jelly) and not even shaped like they normally would be, iirc.
Reply to
micky

I found ones that had very similar model numbers, pulled up an image of them, they looked alike.

Have you tried different search engines? When something is hard to find, sometimes one of them will find it while others will not.

Reply to
trader_4

I've found nothing with the first two letters matching to date...probably because this was a high-end/high-priced unit when new so just weren't that many of 'em...

Well, the above is _quite_ true; there are zillions of images at the google images link but there's no organization and no way to sort and many are dead links or hijacked or to lead-on sites that actually have nothing to do with the subject...

I'll try a little different tack this evening maybe if get some time...I did print off one from the above images but when look in more detail it doesn't have the clean cycle on it...

Don't know if Hotpoint had a similar model; haven't found it if did so probably the GE badge was only one for this particular series...

There's a large dealer about 60 mi that still handles GE (nobody in town does any longer except the Sears catalog store and they have no service facilities); think when I go up there for some other reason I'll see if there's any chance they have the service manuals still. The only local appliance outlet quit carrying GE a number of years ago and threw out all the old service manuals as well... :(

Reply to
dpb

Trader is on track here. Any model from the same time frame that is self-cleaning will probably have a similar circuit for the solenoid.

You don't have to get anything else the same.

In fact how old is old. I have a GE iirc with self-cleaning and I dl'd about 15 owners manuals before I found oen that was darn close. Of course, I dont' think the owners manual has the wiring diagram.

What do you mean " but shouldn't be anything preventing it when starting." Preventing it from what? Unlocking? I don't think so. Mine locks when the self-cleaning starts and doesn't unlock until it's cold enough. It's not like a washing machine where you want to throw more clothes in at the start, so why shouldnt' it lock?

That's what I look for in a service manual. I can't get a shop manual for my new car but I got the electric manual and that's the most important one afaic.

Reply to
micky

On 02-Oct-17 10:48 AM, trader_4 wrote: ...

Went thru about a half-dozen this AM -- not a one showed me anything hadn't already seen, unfortunately.

Reply to
dpb