Old double-glazed window

One of the original windows in my house (53 years old) is a nice side-to-side slider with double-glazed sashes. One of the outside panes of glass is cracked and I'd like to replace it.

Here's the problem though...

The outside pane of glass has a wood frame and is screwed to the inside

frame. Until now I've never noticed any condensation between the panes

of glass, but I wonder if I replace this pane if I'll inadvertently allow moisture or other undesirables between the panes.

I don't think they were using vacuum machines on these windows 50+ years ago. Also, I'm certain there is no gas between the glass panes. And the screws fastening this thing is are big and certainly look like this was supposed to be maintainable.

So how did they (and how can I) assemble this so as not to have a problem with condensation between the panes?

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

long term theres NO way to keep a vacuumn and besides a leak from the outside moist air would cause condensation:(

Today some try injecting gas but it likely leaks out over time:(

double pane windows are assembled at and in a regular space, the panes are glued sealed together with some dessicant to absorb moisture.

locally theres a glass shop where you bring in the glass unit in the AM and pick up a new unit by late afternoon....

not expprensive either.

Reply to
hallerb

I have a hunch it may have been modified over the years. If you have never noticed moisture between the glass it almost has to be a sealed unit.

You have to fix it so you might as well open it up and see what is in there. All decent sized cities have at least one company that makes sealed units.

Be sure to post back here with what you find.

Reply to
Colbyt

My house, built in 1957 has 2 types of windows.

First, just like the OP described, two spearate panes of glass separated by wood. Little thumb levers hold the inner pane in place allowing you to remove it for cleaning. The outer pane is glazed into the frame. The panes are separated by about half an inch. I've never had a moisture/fogging problem with them.

The second type is a true insulated glass window. I had one replaced and the installer took one look at them and mentioned that they arent maded like that any more. He called it a "leaded" window because the separator was made of lead, unlike those made today. He said it had been a long time since he'd seen one.

dickm

Reply to
dicko

I have seen your first type. Never seen the second.

Reply to
Colbyt