Offsite records for when your home is blown away

==from another list=== Oh, you are so right about the critical records. I read that to get into the town, you must have proof that you live there or own a house there. Many people who got out after the tornado were being refused to come back in without a valid drivers' license or other document proving they were a resident there. I thought that was interesting. Apparently they have had some problems with looters. I wondered about women who lost their purses and thought that many people would have difficulty finding any other kinds of records proving they lived there such as copies of home insurance, mortgage bills, etc.... Their cars were blown away, so they couldn't find anything in their cars. It would pretty much have to be on them. ===end quoted===

===Chris writes=== You know, that gets me to thinking. I really should have copies of my various bills, records, drivers license, etc. Have photo copies, or maybe the expired cards stored off site. The challenge, is to find a place I can store them which is

1) understands survivalism 2) Honorable, and won't do ID theft and so on 3) far enough away, to be out of a localized crisis 4) near enough to be accessable

Of course, I could scan the documents to PDF, and then encrypt the digital copies some how. Winrar with password perhaps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

First, put them on CD/DVD - and create hard copy if there's room for it wherever you decide to save it.PDF is a good idea.

Safe of your own, kept in basement/lower floor. Safety Deposit Boxes at: Bank Post Office wherever Trusted relative - trade backups with them County Records has your home taxes, ID, birth certficate & DMV has your license. Etc. These are things I use. I also have a firesafe that weighs in at 500 lbs of steel and is registered. It's not going to blow away or burn or ... since it's located in a corner of the basement and cemented in all around but not attached to the safe.

Reply to
Twayne

Add to this, keep a copy of those scans on the micro-SD card in your cell phone as well. Most people evacuating will have their cell phone with them and it's easy enough to find an adapter to print copies from the micro-SD if needed. You can also readily get one of the very tiny USB flash drives and keep it in your wallet. Add to that, keep your important stuff as pics on your cell phone as well, a good pic of your DL on your cell phone is probably sufficient in an emergency.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4dbf2433$0$29760$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

If you lose your cellphone,then others have your personal information. It's not uncommon for people to lose their cellphones. you could save your data on a SD card,as many PCs have card reader/writers or can accept one in a USB port. Then the SD card can be put in a secure location.

I wouldn't like the lump from a USB drive in my wallet,a SD card would be slimmer. BTW,wallets get lost or stolen too. I guess you'd have to use encryption.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I've had a cell phone since 1990 and I've never lost one.

There are flat USB drives available that are around the size of a mini-SD card and the same thickness.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4dc02189$0$9465$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

Oh,so EVERYBODY is just like you....? I've found other people's cellphones,and read about other people doing the same. My local paper has "ticked-off" column that also has "the flip side" where people have thanked others for turning in their lost phones. I just read about one yeasterday.

And probably costing much more than a simple SD card. Heck,I can go into any drugstore or Wal-Mart and buy a SD card. rugged and simple;KISS.

the USB -connector- alone is twice as thick as a SD card. and having it in your -wallet- with all the stresses that would put on it....not a good idea,IMO.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Nope, comparable price within a buck or two.

You have to find a reader for the SD card, which while common, isn't as common as a USB port.

Nope, these USB drives are a fraction of the thickness of a standard USB connector. They are just the part with the contacts, no shell and no offset part.

No issues there either, and they are waterproof as well. Take a look on the Verbatim site for their "Tuff-'n'-Tiny" USB drives.

Reply to
Pete C.

BTW, ignore the prices on the Verbatim site, actual retail prices are less than half that. Microcenter lists the 2GB at $7.99, 4GB at $10.99 and 8GB at $21.99

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote

So therefore we can conclude . . . . . . . nothing. It can and does happen thousands of times a year. Same with toilets. People drop thousands of them in toilets every year. Better to take the precaution that it may happed, even after 30 years of blissful holding a phone.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski