Not another water softener post.....

Yes, it is another water softener post. I am thinking of ditching our Rainsoft system. The thing unreliable and to get a tech to even walk in the door costs as much as getting a new model from Home Depot. Does anybody have a system that they love or one that I should stay away from? Any suggestions would be great! Mark

Reply to
Mark S

CSI INC-Signature Series

Reply to
JoeM

Reply to
Robert Barr

I would go with a Kinetico system. It is like buying 2 units with the twin tank. You never run out of treated water. It is like buying a cordless drill with 2 batteries, it works all the time. The other units only have a limited supply of quality water. Buy something that works all the time not part of the time. You will use less salt and water too!

Reply to
blevins

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

Thanks Larry, and your cat... After some poking around, the Water Boss does look like a good option. The price is in the right neighborhood, and apparently you can get them at Home Depot. (Close to me) Not too many complaints on the web. It's funny I just got a call from RainSoft letting me know it's time for them to come and deprive me of several hundred dollars, again... And my softener is stuck in the middle of a regen, AGAIN..... New head, a couple of hundred more... NOT! Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark S

The 12 gallons and 2.5 lbs of salt sounds great!! Until you add up 7-8 days of daily regenerations; 12*8=96 gallons and 2.5*8=20lbs of salt over a week's time. And compare that to a softener using the Clack WS-1 control valve set for a capacity that regenerates on average every 8th day and then uses 50+/- gallons and only 6-9 lbs of salt TOTAL. And it has a 5 year warranty on the control valve and 10 years on the tanks. It might cost a hundred or so more.

Kinetico sounds great too. They claim as little water and salt use as the Water Boss. But compare it to say a Fleck 9100SE, or 9000SE, or either in a machanical metered version instead of the electronic meter version. Then set it up to regenerate every 3 days or so than maybe

3-4 times a DAY. And you don't need any disposable cartridge prefilter and you save maybe $2000.00.

To learn about correctly sizing a softener:

Gary Slusser

Thanks to all that responded. Another option that I came across, that I think I am going to do... Replace the valve head with a Fleck 5600. I found this on my own...

tanks are fine, and this eliminates Rainsoft from the picture. The Fleck seems to be an industry standard with replaceable parts. I just figured I would respond to let other dissatisfied Rainsoft folks know that there is another option... Mark

Reply to
Mark S

own...

My tanks are fine, and this eliminates Rainsoft from the picture.

Caution, the new control may not mate properly into the RS tank ad that can/will cause leaking.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

According to the distributor he has had no problems replacing them.

Mark

Reply to
Mark S

That may be true on newer tanks, so how old is yours and will a standard control valve's o-ring fit flat on the top of their tank neck or should/will it go down into the thread area slightly on a 45* angle deforming the o-ring?