no hot water sometimes

seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher) after a few hours i can take a hot shower but if no one uses any hot water for a while all i get is cold water...think its some easy fix or do i have to get a new hot water heater btw using a 40Gal gas water heater thats about 4 years old

Reply to
blackbeard

Could be the coal need stoking after a big use. Do you take the ash out regularly?

It would be much easier to diagnose if we knew if the heater was gas, electrric, oil, solar, coal, wood, or nuclear powered.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

come on Edwin.. he said "40Gal gas water heater"

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

As he indicated, 40 Gas gas water heater that is 4 years old

Reply to
Eigenvector

Damn, I read that three times and didn't see it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

  1. do you also get central heating from your boiler or is it only for hot water?

  1. is it a fan assisted flew?

  2. is the water running fast out of the hot tap equivalent two around fourteen liters a minute?

  1. When you turn the hot tap on does the boiler fire?

  2. do you have a pilot light or an automatic ignition system?

  1. do you have a immersi> seems to me that if i use hot water (i.e. run the washer/dishwasher)

Reply to
colinberry1

If you don't have to manually intervene to get it going again I am betting bad thermostat that eventually figures out the water is cold.

Reply to
gfretwell

Another possibility is the dip tube is broken off/corroded away if it is a top fed tank.

Reply to
Mr.E

How do you get the hot water going, after the water has turned cold?

-zero

Reply to
zero

I know.. It's hell getting old.....oh how well I know.. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

I"m still looking for my airing cupboard. :) Is it in the dining room?

Reply to
mm

try turning up the thermostat some, may fix it.

water temp after heavy use is always higher

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
colinberry1