Last night our hot water was REALLY HOT! Then, this morning we had no
hot water at all. We have lived in our house for 6 months and the
house is only 1 1/2 yrs old..we are the second owners. The hot water
heater is a "State". PLEASE HELP!!!!!
If your WH got too hot, it sounds like the upper level thermostat
failed which may have caused in the case of an electrical unit element
failure or tripped breaker, or in case of a gas unit, dammage to the
burner. In either case it may still be covered under warranty, check
for documents or a label on the heater about the warrantee.
This is definitely an element failure, same symptons I always have on
mine just before the element went out.
I change them myself.
1. Cut off the water inlet supply and power to the water heater.
2. Drain the tank using a water hose and the fitting on the bottom.
3. Remove the element by turning CCW. They make a special socket for
this to make it easier.
4. Good time to clean out the crud in the bottom using a wet vac if
5. Replace elements with new ones and put teflon tape on the threads.
6. I always replace the thermostats at the same time as the elements.
Just watch where the wires go so you can transfer to the new one.
7. Cut water back on to fill tank and then turn power on.
Should be good for at least 3-4 years.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.