New Years Eve compliance struggles at Home Depot, Walmart, Dollar General, Sears, and millions of other stores

AP News January 1, 2012 11:29am EST.

While everyone else was watching the ball drop in Times Square, drinking, and partying, employees at Home Depot, Walmart, Dollar General, Sears, and millions of other stores around America were hustling to remove all the 100W incandescent bulbs from the store shelves, while specially trained FBI agents with oozies stood outside the doors of these stores to insure compliance. These underpaid store employees sweated profusely in the race to get these most dangerous, energy wasting light bulbs off the store shelves, and into locked and guarded steel security vaults, where they will be escorted by armed guards as they are hauled to the U.S. border to be shipped to foreign countries for sale and consumer use.

These overworked store employees worked early into the morning for their measly minimum wages, and were forced to work that late shift, or lose their jobs. Most did not complain, since they knew they were working to make America a better place and it was their patriotic duty to their country. Officials estimate that of the stores that opened on New Years morning, 97.624% of these illegal lightbulbs had been removed off the shelves, while armed agents in civilian clothing searched the stores looking for any remaining bulbs that may have been hidden under displays, in restrooms, or in dark storage areas in the rear of these stores.

So far, there have been no arrests or shootings reported. However, many more stores will reopen their doors on Monday morning, and it is at that time when Federal agents will have to insure 100% compliance with the new ban on 75w, 100w, and larger incandescent light bulbs. It is at this time, that these agents will have their fingers on the triggers of their weapons and may have to use brute force against the managers and employees of the stores who are not yet into compliance, since these employees and employers have had the entire 24 hours of New Years day to accomplish this task.

It's estimated that enforcement of this ban is going to cost the U.S. Government 730 billion dollars of taxpayer money, and will consume some 146 million barrels of oil to transport these agents to all stores in the country.

Of course all of this will save energy use by the American consumer, while increasing the income of medical professionals who treat eye injuries, who will be busy dealing with the estimated 3,500% increase in eye strain injuries. This does not take into account the millions of persons who will become ill or lose their lives from ingestion of mercury from broken compact florescent light bulbs.

We as Americans should praise our government for their persistence and efforts in saving our valuable energy resources and the average $3.59 each and every one of us will save on our yearly electric bills. Above all, the praise should most be rewarded to former president, George W. Bush for creating this law.

Dong Wang - reporting

Reply to
jw

You can and will continue to be able to buy incandescents as normal f you've kept track of the situation.

Reply to
Twayne

Or, if you are one of the few sane, rational folks left in the country, you replaced your incandescents with CFLs 8-10 years ago and are now in the process of replacing the CFLs, most of which are still operating from that initial replacement, with LED lamps.

Reply to
Pete C.

If reporting something that is false is "excellent".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I have mostly CFL's in use and a few did last 5+ years, I have had many fail at 1 to 6 months. Made in China to the highest possible quaility standards you know!

Of the ones that fail early, I have found most of them with the galss tube broken right where it comes out of the base. I'm sure the mercury has not affected me of my family at all. The EPA says it's a very small amount and completely safe.

I wish the government types would think this shit through a little more.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

Job security. Every solution creates two more problems.

.

I wish the government types would think this shit through a little more.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If reporting something that is false is "excellent".

Harry K

To Mr. Wang (and others): There, there, it will be all right. Don't worry. Read this; it will make you feel better:

Tomsic

Reply to
Nono

"Lighting industry officials say bulbmakers have supported the federally mandated switch to energy-efficient designs and have already halted production of banned bulbs. Congress' recent action to bar enforcement of the law by the U.S. Energy Department won't turn back the clock, they say."

Looks like bulbmakers are leading the way. Makes me think of when Ford stopped making the Model T and moved to Model A. 1927. Bet some wanted Ford to just keep making the Model T. But Henry Ford saw GM was beating him in sales. He moved forward with the Model A and regained the sales title for

1929 and 1930. Now if you were a business man making light bulbs, who would you listen to? The few people who want you to keep making incandescents? Or Henry Ford?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Which has just what to do with a false report saying people are working overtime to pull incandescents off the shelves?

Better products at the same price, or far better ones at an increased price (Model T/A) will always drive out the poorer one.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Didn't you think that the reporting was a little over the top? Perhaps he should have put a smiley after the report for the humorously impaired like yourself.

Reply to
willshak

Right, it didn't take an act of Congress to get rid of the Model T.

Reply to
krw

If Ford was making lightbulbs you would have to Fix or Replace them Daily.

That's what FORD means.....

F ix O r R eplace D aily

Reply to
jw

Oozie, is probably a frosty drink with a leaky cup.

.

Maybe I better repost it with the smileys..... There seems to be a large number of humor impaired types!

Here goes!!!!

------

AP News January 1, 2012 11:29am EST.

hustling to remove all the 100W incandescent bulbs from the store shelves, while specially trained FBI agents with oozies stood outside the doors of these stores to insure compliance. These underpaid store

Dong Wang - reporting

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have not bought an incandesent bulb for quite a while now, the only reason I would is to put in my outside lights that would work off motion detectors and timers as they are not compatible with CFL's.

Now someones needs to come up with controls and timers that work with the new bulbs. They're probably out there I just have not looked yet.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

What's an "oozie" ??? Is that the crap that oozes through your pores day in , day out ?

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

Did the govt force Henry Ford to stop making the Model T? I must have missed that.

Reply to
trader4

Nope, GM forced Henry to stop making the Model T. And the government hasn't stopped anybody from making incandescents bulbs, as you imply. You know that, right? The situation now is the bulb companies don't want to make standard, inefficient incandescents. They were all aboard when the EISA act was passed in 2007. And they want the current ban schedule kept so they don't get undercut by cheap inefficient bulbs and an ignorant public. I guess the government could force them to go back to producing only wasteful bulbs. But they won't, because it's a matter of national security. Summary of the bill signed by GWB:

- move the United States toward greater energy independence and security;

- increase the production of clean renewable fuels;

- protect consumers;

-increase the efficiency of products, buildings, and vehicles;

- promote research on and deploy greenhouse gas capture and storage options;

- improve the energy performance of the Federal Government; and

- increase U.S. energy security, develop renewable fuel production, and improve vehicle fuel economy.

See, it's one of these, "We're all in this together" deals. Some just don't like that. Doesn't bother me at all. I was never part of that "me generation" bullshit. I'm willing to do what I can for national security. Besides that, I don't give a shit what light bulb I use. Besides that, it saves me money.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Might have meant Uzi, an Israeli device similar to the AK-47...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Yep, oozie and uzi are both acceptable spellings. Here's a picture of one.

I'd like to get my hands on one of these just to play with it for a few hours. I bet I'd blow away a lot of tin cans!!!!

Reply to
jw

No, it happens when you get an STD.

Reply to