new toilet installed, smells like chemicals

ever since I had a new toilet installed in my half bath off the kitchen it smells like strong chemicals and wafts out into the kitchen if I don't keep the door closed. Doesn't smell like sewage. Doesn't seem to correspond to flushing the toilet. Would the wax seal cause this smell?

Reply to
annamce

I doubt it is the wax ring (if that is what he used). Those are just bees wax. He may have used some other sealant tho. It may also be something in the tank. Take the top off and give it a whiff. What kind of chemical does it smell like?

Reply to
gfretwell

I just smelled the tank and I will have to try a few times to see if I think it is coming from there. It is not super obvious to me where it is coming from at this point. I am not able to easily recognize what chemical it smells like. It isn't chlorine or acetone. Maybe some kind of rubber or plastic? I will see if I hold my nose while approaching and lift the tank to smell I can identify it coming from the tank. It has permeated the very small space.

Reply to
annamce

Did he caulk around the base of the toilet? Is this a vinegar smell?

Reply to
gfretwell

I think you are right. It smells like it is something in the tank. I smells like plastic or rubber inside the tank.

Reply to
annamce

It is likely that this will out gas and go away soon.

Reply to
gfretwell

I am having same problem, did it go away?

Reply to
susieq48