Smelly bathroom

Got back off holiday a couple of days ago, and noticed our bathroom has developed a smell. It smells like a cat has sprayed in it, but we don't have a cat and there is no way a cat could have got in while we were away.

The toilet water level was normal, and I've checked all the traps and they all have water in them, and there doesn't seem to be any leakage from the waste pipes (anyway it's not really a sewage type smell).

Any ideas what could cause this type of smell?

TIA

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message news:4125e58c$0$931$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net...

Wild guess: sink or bath trap drying out?

John

Reply to
Bioboffin

I've had the same thing. Shower curtain was growing something on it. Also check any old flannels and the nasty little thing with the bogbrush in it.

Reply to
JK

You might have water in the trap but my guess is that some has evaporated opening up an air vent to the sewer. I rarely use the bath in my house (it's OK, have a shower!) and during the summer I have to run the taps for a moment or two every couple of weeks to keep the trap topped up else the smells (like leaking gas in my house) returns.

Colin

Reply to
Colin M

There may have been some water, but was there *enough* water?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The water in the traps can dry up.

Reply to
IMM

I'm pretty sure it's not the traps, because I ran water down them all and vented the room when we got back, but the smell persists two days later.

I think I've found the problem - the toilet cistern was leaking - a slow drip after it's not been used for a while. This seems to have resulted in slightly damp floorboards - the smell does seem to be coming from the floorboards rather than the carpet. I've scrubbed the floorboards with a bleach solution - will leave to dry and see if the smell goes away.

Thanks for all the advice so far....

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy