New roof question

I just had a new roof put on last week and I noticed that some of the shingles aren't laying flat. They're GAF Timberline 30-year laminate shingles so I know there's going to be more of an overlap look than the more common three-tab shingles which lay more flush with the roof. However, I noticed that quite a few shingles (about 5%) appear to be buckled...not laying as flat as they should be.

I approached the roofer about this and he said that they should straighten out in a couple of weeks....usually in warmer weather it takes a couple of days... but that in colder weather like this (central NJ...temps about 30-40 degrees F) it may take a couple of weeks to break in.

If anyone has any insight on roofing shingles, I'd appreciate any assistance. I just want to make sure I'm not being mislead by my roofer....

TIA!

Reply to
The Amazing Exploding Arab

Steven Bliss

Mine were the same way when first installed. In hot summer they laid down in a few days. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
AgaPSDIVER

they should flatten out *if they are installed correctly*. If they were installed to "tight" (too close together, or with one end butted up too tight to a wall or something) they won't flatten, and should be repaired. Wait until it gets warm out - if you have easy access tot he roof, its warm when you put your hand flat on the shingles and pull it back because its too hot. A good sunny day in January will work as well as a cloudy in summer....

If they ahven't flattened out in a couple months, I'd call him back - a good day with sun should warmt hem up enough that they flatten out. If they don't, they need to be fixed...

-_JD

Reply to
jduprie

Are you sure that they are buckling or could it be some trash trapped under the shingles? My new roof (this summer) had a couple of nails that got trapped under the shingles.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

Reply to
The Amazing Exploding Arab

It sounds from other posts as if this isn't a big problem. However, I'd get something in writing about eventual adjustments, just to be on the safe side.

Reply to
Frogleg

I had "The roof from hell" installed, and 1 of the reasons, I had the roofer replae the whole roof was shingles not lying flat. The problem with mine was thye roofer used a nail gun to attach the shingles, and about 300 of the nails were not driven all the way in. This was just 1 of many things they did wrong! The new roof looks great. By the way, the orig roof job passed the inspections, by the County idiots!

Reply to
Over40pirate