Bought a brand new 3/4 hp hayward pool sweep pump from ebay. Well
guess what. The pump runs but the motor housing gets so hot you can't
touch it. Motor's pulling around 9.5A on 220V which seems too high.
Any ideas what might be wrong with the "new in box" pump deal from
ebay? I'm going to try to call hayward tech support on Monday and see
if I can get a warranty replacement. Seems odd though that a new motor
would have problems. Here's what I've checked so far:
1. Measured 240 volts right at motor terminals.
2. Centrifical starting switch seems to be opening when motor comes up
3. Motor makes a grrring noise and has a slight vibration.
4. Double checked the wiring.
5. Current is ~9.5A.
Over temp switch doesn't shut off though. Although I haven't run it
more than 30mins in fear of something melting down. Here are my
guesses of what might be wrong:
1. Shorted or open field winding?
2. Rotor defective?
3. Starting cap defective? (seems to start fine though and come up to
Anybody have ideas on what might be wrong? Isn't 4 to 5 amps about
right for a 3/4 hp motor running on 220V?
Thanks in advance