Adding Electrical Service Near Gas Fireplace?

I want to hang a plasma flat screen TV over my gas fireplace. I also want to cut the drywall and add 3 in-wall speakers as well as add a dual 120V electrical outlet immediately behind the TV.

I'm hesitating about one thing. The drywall cavity behind the fireplace has the natural gas service line and a valve. When I add the speakers and the electrical outlet, the electrical service will share the same in-wall cavity as the gas line. I'm a little worried about this. Let's say the natural gas line starts to leak. The drywall cavity will have gas and air, I go to plug something in, there's a spark and ... boom.

Do codes allow mixing electrical and gas close together? Any special installation practices to maximize safety during and after construction?

Reply to
James

I'm no expert on this but i thought that gas lines in walls couldnt have joints within the wall cavity. ie the pipe could pass through the wood/wallboard wall space but in that space there couldnt be any pipe joints. The valve et all for your gas fireplace is supposed to be in the metal fireplace accessories enclosure, not in the house wall itself. Sounds to me like you have a DYI fireplace installation/creation that was done by someone who had no idea what they were doing. Given that, you should also worry about the fireplace itself, i would. Eric

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Your local codes may be different, but it is not unusual for gas and electric lines to share the same wall cavity. Just be aware that it is possible during remodeling to create the potential for a hazard. Firestops can be breached, gas lines can be nicked or rattled loose, insulation on electrical wires can get nicked. If possible check the installation manual for the fireplace to see if the manufacturer has any cautions.

I have noticed that people are putting their flat screen TV's over fireplaces. I am curious as to the long term ramifications (If any) to the TV from being over a heat source like that.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I wonder about that too........ heat isnt good for most electronic devices

Reply to
hallerb

Why would the gas line leak in the wall?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'm wondering why you would want one so high. You'd have to crane your neck to watch it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Don't worry about it because it's probably a good thing. If the gas leaks and the spark hits it within the cavity while it's small, then the explosion will be small. But if there is no spark the gas line will keep leaking until it hits a spark farther away -- and after it has leaked more gas -- so the explosion will be much bigger. So it's probably a good thing to limit the size of the natural gas explosion in your house.

OTOH, since it hasn't exploded yet, you're probably okay.

... if you're worried about you gas line, NOW would be a good time to have it checked. But putting in a wire has nothing to do with it.

Reply to
Pat

Anyone who can afford a flat TV can afford an electrician.

Trouble me not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

plasma tv have dropped a lot in price.....

Reply to
hallerb

Au contraire. Anyone who can afford an electrician really can afford a flat TV.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

How about electricians?

"ABC Electrical? Since plasma TVs have come down so much, I want you to work cheaper. How about..."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You got me. Yer right.

Reply to