I want to hang a plasma flat screen TV over my gas fireplace. I also
want to cut the drywall and add 3 in-wall speakers as well as add a
dual 120V electrical outlet immediately behind the TV.
I'm hesitating about one thing. The drywall cavity behind the
fireplace has the natural gas service line and a valve. When I add the
speakers and the electrical outlet, the electrical service will share
the same in-wall cavity as the gas line. I'm a little worried about
this. Let's say the natural gas line starts to leak. The drywall
cavity will have gas and air, I go to plug something in, there's a
spark and ... boom.
Do codes allow mixing electrical and gas close together? Any special
installation practices to maximize safety during and after
I'm no expert on this but i thought that gas lines in walls couldnt have
joints within the wall cavity. ie the pipe could pass through the
wood/wallboard wall space but in that space there couldnt be any pipe
joints. The valve et all for your gas fireplace is supposed to be in the
metal fireplace accessories enclosure, not in the house wall itself.
Sounds to me like you have a DYI fireplace installation/creation that
was done by someone who had no idea what they were doing. Given that, you
should also worry about the fireplace itself, i would.
Your local codes may be different, but it is not unusual for gas and
electric lines to share the same wall cavity. Just be aware that it is
possible during remodeling to create the potential for a hazard. Firestops
can be breached, gas lines can be nicked or rattled loose, insulation on
electrical wires can get nicked. If possible check the installation manual
for the fireplace to see if the manufacturer has any cautions.
I have noticed that people are putting their flat screen TV's over
fireplaces. I am curious as to the long term ramifications (If any) to the
TV from being over a heat source like that.
Don't worry about it because it's probably a good thing. If the gas
leaks and the spark hits it within the cavity while it's small, then
the explosion will be small. But if there is no spark the gas line
will keep leaking until it hits a spark farther away -- and after it
has leaked more gas -- so the explosion will be much bigger. So it's
probably a good thing to limit the size of the natural gas explosion
in your house.
OTOH, since it hasn't exploded yet, you're probably okay.
... if you're worried about you gas line, NOW would be a good time to
have it checked. But putting in a wire has nothing to do with it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.