Neighbor disputes my property line location

a angry neighbor can make your life hell....

dogs barking police calls, noisey brawls, nasty friends. just to name a few...

at least try to be nice, and find a impartial person to check out the lines.

we inally moved after a neighbor dispute that began much as this one did. they did EVERYTHING to make us unhappy. were very successful. my grandma bnever really got over moving, and always missed our old home

Reply to
hallerb

I agree with Goedjn and I would not move his car yourself. After determining 100% that you are correct about the property line, I'd send him a certified letter, with return receipt, stating that if the car isn't moved by x date, it will be towed and only he will be responsible for paying to get it out of impound. And ditto on building the fence ASAP, and as high as the law allows on that side.

Bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

Maybe ask the zoning people and my insurance agent about the use of razor wire. (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Call the local Code enforcement agency and tell them there is an abandoned car on your property. Build your fence and ignore the guy in the future. Muff

Reply to
Muff

sounds as if another member of the household (wife?) may be pushing him,perhaps he is an alright guy.

Reply to
digitalmaster

The best thing to do is make friends, get some booze and food and invite him over. Making an enemy might ruin what you just bought, neighbors of hell exist.

Reply to
m Ransley

PanHandler

You just pointed out after the fact a good reason for getting a survey prior to your closing the deal on that house. If you had, the seller might have been able to get further with his neighbor than you, the new kid on the block are getting now.

As others have said, you've got to decide which way you want to push your problem, you'll likely not be able to end up with both your fence where you want it and a good relationship with that neighbor. Take your pick.

**************************

Ah feel yur pain, 'cause a new neighbor swiped about 300 square feet of our home's lot a couple of years ago when I wasn't paying close enough attention to what his landscapers were doing. He had them build some stone retaining walls and planted grass and shrubs on an uncleared portion of our lot which we weren't using. 15+ years of tree and brush growth had dulled my memories of where the original survey lines were.

Before I mentioned anything to him I hired a surveyor and spent about $1,250 getting the lines restaked. A couple of the new survey markers ended up plunked into his new lawn. This time I made sure I took several photos of the survey markers in relation to fixed objects so I can use the pictures for future reference.

I approached the neighbor and asked if he'd be willing to buy the land he was using from me, for it's proportionate tax assessed value (about $6,000) or perhaps do a deal with me to annually reimburse the property taxes I pay on that bit of land (about $90/year nowadays.)

He stalled me for a few months, and I finally decided that it wasn't worth getting into a pissing contest with the guy over a bit of land I'd prolly never want to use anyway, or get involved in a legal hassle which would undoubtedly benefit my lawyer more than it would me. (Like my uncle Schlomo used to say, "What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?")

Even putting up an ugly fence along my property line through part of what he'd turned into "his yard" would be an expense that wouldn't gain me anything, but would give the neighbor reason to hate my guts and perhaps do nasty hard to prove things to our property or pets.

So, this way I'm still able to wave hello to him when we're both outside. He returns the wave, and then I turn away so he doesn't see me muttering "asshole" under my breath.

That neighbor put his place up for sale a few months ago and I called the listing realtor, introduced myself, and told her to make darn sure she told potential buyers where the property line was. She seemed to understand. Maybe the next owner of that home will have a more responsible attitude towards things and want to do a deal with me over "my land" when they buy the place. It still does piss me off a little four times a year when I'm writing a check to our town for property tax and I remember that the neighbor is enjoying the use of part of "his" back yard "tax free".

BTW, adverse possession isn't a factor in our case. Our lot is a class of property called "Registered Land" here in Massachusetts, and we retain the right to kick any encroacher off no matter how long they've "borrowed" the use of part of it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Only if you're a liberal, and don't mind smiling while people are kicking you in the teeth.

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Give him some time, you don't need the fence right away, many people buy a house and that's the very first home improvement project they do, screen out the neighbors. Not saying you shouldn't, just soak in the new house and see how it sits.

In the end, you just need him come around and accept that he was mistaken about the property line all along. It happens all the time, people make assumptions based on geographical boundaries and assume they are the same as the legal property lines, its an easy mistake especially if the previous owner of your house had the same mistaken belief. He may find he has more on the other side of his house, maybe the developers didn't build in the center of the lots.

You should be able to get the original surveyor to come back out and explain the survey to you and your neighbor at the same time. Perhaps coming from the professional, it will be irrefutable. He'll probably do it for free but don't be surprised if he wants a small fee for a meeting.

In the end, you are perfectly within the law to Abate a Nuisance by Removing it from your property even without notice. Just jack it onto some dollies and push it sideways over the line (just kidding, you'll work it out if you don't push too hard.)

Reply to
PipeDown

After you check and make sure the land is yours and if he refuses to move the car - see if you can have the car towed. You can claim it was abandoned on your property. If the former owner was paying his taxes properly and he must have been or you would have found out at the closing, the neighbor has not been paying taxes on that piece of land. You can verify it with property appraiser's office. I am in Pinellas Co. FL and the property appraiser here has a web site showing who owns what. Check the Dade Co. web site and see if you can find out anything online.

Reply to
Dorot29701

Ahh. In my county, they show the parcel maps online with all the dimensions and distances. It's not an aerial map, more of a technical drawing.

Reply to
Abe

Are you really just that stupid? or just joking?

Reply to
Abe

Any advice?

You have a terrible record of asking very important financial and legal questions here. Your first one was your series of questions about IRS liens, IIRC.

You have persisted in asking those very important financial and legal questions here with resect to this transaction despite being advised literally dozens of times by at least a half dozen people that you should hire a real estate lawyer in Dade County to get your legal advice. Apparently, you

What does the lawyer who represented you in this transaction say about the car on the property which you allege is yours?

You noticed the car before the closing and after the survey, right?

You told your lawyer about the car before the closing, right?

Your lawyer did advise you to get buyer's title insurance, right?

You took your lawyer's advice and bought buyer's title insurance, right?

Go to your lawyer and the title insurance company and have them handle this.

Oh, you didn't hire a lawyer ? You wetre saving money on a multi hundred thousand dollar invesmen, so you didn't want to spend $ 2 grand?

You didn't get buyer's title insurance because on a multi hundred thousand dollar investment you wanted to save $ 1,500?

Sad.

But at least you saved lawyer's fees and the buyer's title insurance premium.

You are too inept to own property.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

What's stupid about that? It works really well where I am. If a car is "junked" meaning it doesn't have current registration etc., sitting in the same place over 72 hours, the code enforcers (in my area Police Partners) are on it in a hurry. Might work a lot better than grabbing your gun, though maybe not as satisfying. :-)

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

And you must be...a lawyer. What a terrible, inept, predictable answer. Sure to keep him coming back for more "well reasoned" advice at $350.00 per hour as opposed to all the great advice he got here.:-)

-- Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Several have suggested using the county web site and lot descriptions. That's a free way to reconfirm your survey is correct. There's one more step that no one has mentioned so far. Since you've just bought the house and had a new survey, go back to the lawyer you used during closing and explain the problem to him. That initial consultation shouldn't cost you anything, and it may be that the easiest way to get the car moved is to pay the lawyer for a couple of hours of work to solve the problem in a completely open and legal way.

You DID use a lawyer at closing, right?

-- Regards

Reply to
JimR

Cute.

Stupid.

But cute.

I'm just somebody who actually looks at property before I buy it, notes obvious issues and insists on the seller resolving them befor I part with a quarter million bucks.

Apparently neither you nor miamicuse find such everyday caution prudent.

Sort of like this farce posted by miamicuse, as well as the two days ago post by miamicuse whining about a van apparently left on he front of the property by his sellers.

Or is this newy found car the same as the van miamicuse was ostng about a day r two ago.

Miamicuse is too stupid to be allowed out withiut an escort.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

"Cheri" wrote in news:r6ednUy9xvVPSQTZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@inreach.com:

Works the same in my town, also.

Reply to
zapalac

The original post said: "The neighbor has parked a vehicle on the grass with half the car over on my side. The hood is up and the engine is out and he is apparently fixing it in his garage."

It's his neighbor's car, and his neighbor works on it. It's not abandoned or junked. Jeez, how about a little reading comprehension?

On the other hand, if he wants to complain about it as an eyesore, that's a different story.

Reply to
Abe