Need a cover for high shelves

We have a utility/laundry/storage room in our new house. I built shelves along one wall that are about 10' hight by 10' long and 16" deep. My wife doesn't like to look at all the boxes and such and wants to cover them up. I don't really want to build a lot of doors on them because of the general layout of the room and accessibility to the shelf space. So, I'm looking for suggestions on what would be a good solution. She has suggested a series of curtains, but finding

10' high curtains without being custom made is tough.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpr

The correct answer is "yes, dear".

So here's your evil plan. Agree with your wife !!! Tell her that you'll go get a curtain rod and put it up and pick up some nice fabric along the way. All she needs to do is sew a quick sleave and a hem and it's done. NBD.

Go do your part and you're done. Then she'll either be quiet because she makes the curtains and the project is done or (b) she won't do it but at least she'll stop complaining because it's waiting for her to do her part.

Reply to
Pat

And, don't mount the curtain rod until she does her part.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Jan 23, 11:00=EF=BF=BDam, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrot= e:

l her that

cause

obviously married for awhile this is so true.........

Reply to
hallerb

The *real* correct answer is to ask her why she's spending so much time in a utility room, staring at shelves.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Fabric store. Curtains are easy.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

re: And, don't mount the curtain rod until she does her part

Or mount the rod, and hang a big sign on it that says something like:

Install Curtains Here.

The rod will fade from her view, but the sign will be a constant reminder.

Oh, yeah, attach the sign in such a manner that it will be hard for her to take down.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

She must have a good view of the utility room from the kitchen. *ducks*

Reply to
efgh

Also, before she "makes" the curtains, tell her they must be flame resistant for use in a garage. They don't have to be flame proof, but should NOT be made of a very flammable material.

Reply to
EXT

And backed with kevlar for bullet resistance, in case terrorists attempt to commandeer the laundry detergent. You never know.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Yeah, I tried that. Let me state we have been married 28 years, together for 31. She doesn't have a sewing machine right now (old one broke, can't afford another at the moment). But I'm going to push that idea bit more. She is far to smart for the old ball in your court routine. I did make the mistake of asking "Who cares, it's a utility room?" The main problem with any of my negotiations is I managed to finagle, when we renovated this house, a woodworking shop attached to it. Problem is, I don't have the time or money right now to set it up (20 degrees here, needs insulation) so I could do a proper job of cabinetry.

But I bet I could find somebody around here with a sewing machine to knock off some curtains. I'll look into it.

Reply to
jtpr

Look for a dry cleaner that does minor sewing work. If they can't sew a simple straight hem, they need to be in rehab.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You evil evil man

Reply to
cselby

What about some kind of draw shade? Where you pull a string and it rolls up to the top. Anybody ever made something like that?

Reply to
jtpr

i made something like that to partition 1 bay from my 4 car garage for my wife's studio so we could reasonably run a/c there. i used a very large thick reinforced plastic tarp that gets drawn up onto the ceiling so the garage door can open.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

Don't be silly. Your job is to read magazines, drink beer and service the woman at your leisure.

You can buy something like that really cheap at places like Target or Slob Mart. If you want something a little nicer, walk into a JC Penney store and see what they have in the curtain department. Check the web site first for ideas.

They always seem to have that stuff on sale. If not, wait a week.

JCP usually has very knowledgeable window covering people working in that departement. Tell the person you want to mount something from the ceiling because your wife is obsessive-compulsive and insists on not knowing what's on the shelves.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

ROF,L. There was a scene in the pilot for "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" in which she ducks behind a chair to evade gunfire. Later one of the cops investigating the scene notes that the chair has Kevlar in it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Buy her some pretty boxes.

Reply to
Phisherman

That's not funny. Don't you have kevlar furniture?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Cheap'n'Dirty(tm) solution : buy 10x12 blue plastic tarp, large screw- eyes in ceiling, run clothesline thru grommets in tarp, attach clothesline to screw-eyes at each end. Ugly but functional. Material cost probably less than $20. Now if aesthetics is an issue..... which it very well could be with SWMBO involved, forget I even mentioned it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry