Plans needed: Ugly garage shelves

Strange as it sounds, I'm having a devil of a time finding plans for some basic floorstanding garage shelves. Spacing between shelves needs to be big enough to store medium-sized U-Haul boxes and other big stuff, and I don't care how ugly they are, as long as they're strong. Screw assembly is preferable to nails, because I'll be moving within the next couple of years and would like to be able to disassemble them. Can anyone provide a web link, or the name & author of a book that's useful? My public library hasn't been much help.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hey Traves - this sounds like sumpin' you could design on a napkin! LOL!

Jummy

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

It's probably something that ANY of you could design on a napkin, while three sheets to the wind and blindfolded! But I'm having trouble visualizing it. My ex's brother built a nice set of these, but I'm not allowed in his house any more.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

in my town, there's a company that buys up shelving systems from companies going out of business. i bought 6 3x5x8 3 sided systems with adjustable metal shelves that bolted together for $60/each. really heavy duty ones. i think they came out of an electronics warehouse.

you might try looking in the yellow pages.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Try the Borg or Lowes. THey have quick setup plastic shelving kits, you supply the 2X4's and custom configure them to your needs. If you're gonna be moving, then having break down shelving sounds like a good answer.

Reply to
nct_buyer

Yesterday I noticed as Sam's, some really strong steel shelf units with MDF shelves. These free standing shelf units resemble the ones used in the Borg to display their products. May be cheaper, quicker, and stronger in the long run. They appeared to be adjustable and easy to break down.

Reply to
Leon

Interesting! I'll be at Home Despot tonight to take a look at this as a possibility. Thanks!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Faxed. And BTW - don't rebound with the old broad. LOL!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Thanks again, Jim. And...not a chance with the old broad!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

couple of months ago I saw a solution to this problem at the Home Despot. They had several plastic "corners" in a kit that were sized to take standard 2x4 lumber. The plastic "corners" held the 2x4s into upright, horizontal and "shelf" locations, and could be glued/screwed to the 2x4. Size/spacing was up to you.

tim

Reply to
tim collins

I'm lazy and figured pre-made shelves would work just fine. These can be disassembled, are deep (24") and the shelves are adjustable. You don't mention price so I'm going under the assumption that price is no object.

I bought mine at The Borg. They're pretty much the same price everywhere.

paulo57509

Home Depot and others have some ready-made stuff. The ones which are strong enough are more than my divorce lawyer will let me spend right now. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug,

I have some shelves that I built for my garage and my sister's garage. They work great. They're ugly but strong. I could writeup some plans if you're interested. The shelves are 18" high (until 2' before ceiling -- depends on height of garage), 2' deep, and 4' wide. You could make them whatever height/depth you want (my sister's are 18" deep), that's the best part. They easily support me standing on them and they go up in an afternoon. Mine are 12' long and my sister's are

8' long.

I make them out of 2x4s 1x4s, 1x3s and 4x8 sheets of 3/4" OSB flooring ($10 a sheet). I think I spent $70 on my sister's 8' long, 18" deep,

8' high section.

The shelves slide in and out if you need to rearrange them and the posts/supports are all installed with screws (oh, and I used my pocket jig -- the mini-jig is $20 for jig and stepped drill bit).

Let me know if you're interested.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I was looking at those plastic kits in Lowe's a few weeks back for some basement shelving. Makes it nice and easy for sure, but at almost $20 for a set of 6 I found that too steep for basic storage shelving. Now those Simpson tie items mentioned earlier look interesting. Wondering how much they cost though, will have to check that out.

Reply to
CyBrShRk

These links are kinda fun.

vmtw

The BORG sells metal brackets designed to connect 2x4s together into shelf units. They are REALLY great. My brother in law built several units and got a lot of his basement straghtened up. Consists of a 2x4 upright, with the shelves spaced about 18" apart, high enough to allow two standard record storage boxes to be stacked on the shelf. Two is about the max, otherwise you can't get to stuff easily. he made them 4 shelves high, which works out to about 6'. The length is 2x4 stock, and, he made them about 6' long. The width is about 36' or so (the length of two of the document storage boxes end to end. We finished up by cutting 1/2" plywood into a shelf and screwing it to the shelf supports. Very quick, fairly cheap and amazingly strong. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Modify any of the 1000 hits below as needed.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Big Orange Retail Giant. Home Depot. Swallows up all others

Reply to
Ken Johnsen

Doug,

Try the following link that was posted here regarding workbenches and shelving.

can size them to your specific needs and then print out the drawing and materials list. Hope this helps.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Doug, You're not close to Houston are you? I bought a heavy duty store display that is 6' X 6' X 2' that might work. It has 4 drawers and several shelves. I bought it for the stuff mounted on it and have no use for the display and could make you a real deal (like name your own price). I have pics if you're interested (or anybody in the Houston area).

Reply to
Tom