Mystery toilet drip

This morning I heard drip, drip, drip from the toilet.

It?s steady, maybe 2 per second. But I don?t see it.

The toilet bowl and the toilet tank are perfectly calm, not a single ripple.

Yes occasionally the tank refills, so there is a slow leak from the flapper. But that can?t be the drip, as fast as it is, not without showing.

Any ideas?

Maybe into the drain? But, then from where?

Reply to
TimR

Re-fill tube is my guess - drip hitting where it doesn't disturb the water in the bowl.

Usually you can see the refill tube - to confirm.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

If the tank is refilling, it's not the overflow, has to be the flapper. Probably drips from under the flapper.

Reply to
trader_4

Any water around the bowl and tank seal?

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

Coloured food dye is your friend. Pick some up on your next trip to the food market.

Put a few drops in the holding tank and then look in the bowl..

(And, for good measure, check the outside of the toilet bowl and your floor as well)

Reply to
danny burstein

It can?t be the refill tube. I put my finger in there, it?s not dripping.

It can be the flapper. Well, I know for sure that leaks although very slowly. They go bad quickly with our water.

But I?ve never heard one make a large drip noise. Water is falling some distance and hitting water.

Reply to
TimR

That is still the flapper. Water will fall from the bottom of the tank to the static water level in the bowl. Try seating it with your finger and see if the drip stops until the next flush. It might be as simple as the length of the chain. I know my old Kohler one piece was real picky about that. You had to have it in exactly the right hole. Customer support was adamant about that and it did work. Also they needed the OEM flapper. After market ones just would not work. The good news is they would send you one for free.

Reply to
gfretwell

Is the problem here always the flapppe?

I saw a reference in Handyman magazine to the plastic opening beneath it. I forget what they called it. Does anything ever go wrong with that? In the past I've rubbed one or two with my finger and they are never slimy, never dirty afaict, and never have chips. (based on two times.)

This flapper just started giving problems yesterday. It is only a year old, but the previous one lasted 20 years. So I'm reluctant to blame it. OTOH, I bought it 21** years ago. It didnt' seem old last year.

**AT the time I was having a lot of trouble finding a flapper that would fit, so I bought a life-time supply.
Reply to
micky

Better that than a drip from what you stand over the bowl with ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Could be as simple as wiping around the flapper if dirt has accumulated.

I have a Toto that is very particular about its flapper and only OEM works well.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The flapper seat

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:26:02 -0700 (PDT), TimR posted for all of us to digest...

Look under the toilet at the refill tube and shut off valve?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:54:08 -0400, Wade Garrett posted for all of us to digest...

Are you saying you have the drip? 8-)

No matter how much you shake & squeeze, the last few drops go into your BVD's.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:16:13 -0400, Tekkie© posted for all of us to digest...

Maybe the toilet is sweating because the flapper keeps cold water flowing into the tank?

Reply to
Tekkie©