MultiMaster

I woke up today to an Infomercial for Multimaster (~$400). Has anyone used one?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Yes, they're rather useful for all sorts of cutting or sanding.

But the wood/metal blades (the ones I use the most) are very pricey.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Is the tool worth the $400 plus the cost of consumables or can we do the same jobs for less total cost with other tools?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A Multimaster, it sounds like a Popiel product, it cuts,it dices, it fillets all the fish you catch !

Reply to
ransley

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote in news:fvll25$lbb$1 @reader2.panix.com:

I used one that belonged to a client, and it really did a quick job in a tough corner. It's basically a vibrator that takes different heads.

It works well, but I think it's wildly overpriced. I'd buy one if it was $125.

Reply to
Steve

I saw the last 10 minutes of the Infomercial and said to myself "If it's less than a hundred and a half, I'll buy one".

It looks like a jewel for taking up old linoleum, laying down flooring, and refinishing cabinets. But $400, give me a break.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

So that's where my wife spend that $400! :-)

Reply to
IGot2P

I don't know if I'd buy one for full freight....I got mine for free & my neighbor bought his used for a lot less than $400.

the same jobs for less total cost with other tools

Reply to
BobK207

Dick-

Your OP stated

(~$400). Has anyone used one?

Reply to
BobK207

If this is what you saw, they are very high quality, and useful, tools.

Reply to
salty

Best tool, hands down. When you're in tight quarters it's indispensible. Great for working on a boat.

Reply to
Boden

It's worth $400 to me, but you can get it for less. Try Coastal Tool.

Boden

tp://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/fein/fein.htm?L+coastes...- Hide= quoted text -

Try PriceGrabber for pricing, including shipping costs, from various vendors. Best price for "Top" kit appears to $368 with free shipping.

DerbyDad03

Tool.http://coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/fein/fein.htm?L+coastes...-Hide quoted text -

Tool puts them at the top of my list. Right up there with Rod Lee and Lee Valley.

Reply to
Boden

If you have a need for such. Me, never needed one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I used to think the same thing. Then I got one - I now feel like I've wasted a lot of hours dicking around with almost/sorta tools instead of the right tool for the job.

If you're looking to bring the price down, look at the older MSX series which is running in clearance and closeout sales. It doesn't have some of the features, but it's a lot cheaper. Buy a kit with a lot of accessories - it's the cheapest way to get them.

RicodJour

re: Buy a kit with a lot of accessories - it's the cheapest way to get them.

I sort of agree, but I'm also picturing the 55 piece Dremel kit I bought last year.

It came with lots of accessories, but many of them I may never use. I'm still buying the ones I use all the time, while the extras just sit in the case. Under normal circumstances I'd wonder if it wouldn't have been more cost effective to buy the base model and put the extra money towards the accessories I use most often.

I should explain why I say "under normal circumstances".

55 piece Dremel kit, including the engraver tool Regularly $90, on sale for $80 $50 Lowes Gift Card from my kids $20 Lowes card from merchandise returned months before $5 Off card that I got in the mail from Lowes

Out of pocket cost: $5

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well the Dremel kits are like the fastener assortments where they just try to list the highest number. Over one THOUSAND fasteners for only $19.95!!!! Unfortunately the Multimaster blades are a bit pricey - they last, but it takes a bite. There's a guy on eBay who sells aftermarket Multimaster blades that are satisfaction guaranteed and he has good feedback. Next blades I buy I'll check them out.

RicodJour

T have some projects for which a MutiMaster might be the right tool.

  1. Refinishing cabinets,
  2. Removing kinoleum and installing wood flooring one room at a time.
  3. Removing and replacing wall boards and installing wall boards on conctete walls.
  4. Knocking out a bathroom wall to extend it 18"
  5. Building a new and larger stall in bathroom,
  6. Tiling bathroom.

My question is which MultiMaster assessories do it need and which do I not need?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams