Removing excess "Great Stuff" from tile.

"Bill" wrote in news:481e5296$0$12957 $ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

"Mechanical removal" is usually what I've seen as suggested for the foams. Can't you just scrape it with a window scraper then one of those green scrubber things for any residual? If it's on the grout, that's gonna be a challenge.

Reply to
Red Green

On 5/4/2008 5:27 PM Bill spake thus:

Petroleum-based solvents include naphtha (lighter fluid), paint thinner, gas, etc. My preference in general is naphtha, which is pretty mild and safe (assuming reasonable precautions about adequate ventilation, etc.). Obtainable as ordinary charcoal starter fluid. Gas (gasoline or petrol) is nasty stuff, but it'll work too; just avoid getting it on your hands and breating the fumes.

None of these will harm tile, which is pretty much impervious to anything but really strong acids (think glass, which is basically what glaze is).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I got a little crazy with the "Great Stuff" expanding foam, and a bunch ended up on the tile.

It wiped it when it was still fresh, but a thick film still dried on the tile.

The website advised "petrolium" based cleaners. Like what for example?

And would that be harmful to tile?

Reply to
Bill

WD-40 on a cloth, or any other penatrating oil from the hardware....;-)

Reply to
alt.autos

On 5/4/2008 5:39 PM alt.autos spake thus:

That'll work, but a lot slower than what I suggested. Use a real solvent, not a lubricant.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Except that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant.

Reply to
Calab

On 5/4/2008 6:50 PM Calab spake thus:

Yeah, yeah, I know all about that. Not enough room here for a sub-thread on that topic. Been covered ad nauseam all over the internet.

Let's just say that it at least plays one on TV.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:481e6ab8$0$11178$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Billy Mays could cinvince you it's a good acid reflux remedy.

Reply to
Red Green

Have you tried a razor blade? First I'd try 91% alcohol. Then I would try a rag lightly dampened with kerosene. Both of these solvents are not harmful to tile nor skin.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hardly anything will harm the tile, so why not go after it with one of the hairier paint removers on the market? With a common sense approach, of course, HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Hi strangers,

Same problem occurred to me, nothing was working, gasoline, acetone, alcohol, vaseline, everything I could get my hands on. I doubt you'll find a tough enough household scrubber.

Then I tried elbow grease and a pumice stone. My tile is white again :) Of all the things... Try it. You may have to visit the beauty aisle of your local pharmacy, try around the pedicure stuff or bath products. Sorry guys, I know this may bring great shame to a handyman. Haha...

Reply to
Some girl who likes to do it h

Oren posted for all of us...

So you want a little "trim"?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Okay, I'll take your word for it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to alt.autos, stilllooking wrote: tried this. didn't work at all. WD 40 took off gorilla tape reside, but just poliushed the foam residue to a nice laquer-like finish. Even ;eft iot on for over two hours.

Reply to
stilllooking

Razor blade or wire brush

Reply to