"GREAT STUFF" (not so great)

I always like to keep a can of "Great Stuff" on hand, in case I have an uninvited guess appear in one of the buildings (as in mouse). Mice are common on farms (which this is). If I find the point of entry at

1:00am, I want to plug the hole NOW, not tomorrow.

I had a can on the shelf and was doing some work in my tool shed. It was cold outside and I felt a draft. Thats when I found there was an leak right below the eaves. I go and get my can of "Great Stuff" from the house and prepare to fill that crack. However, the can does not work. No matter how hard I push the trigger, nothing comes out. I remove the nozzle, and try to poke a piece of wire into the spout. Put the nozzle back on the can and still nothing comes out. (Yes, this is a brand new can). Once again, I try and this time the can's spout broke off.

It's 11pm so no stores are open, so I'm screwed till the next day.

When I got in the house, I decided to email the manufacturer, "Dow Chemical Co.". I go to the website on the can,

and send an email. Nearly a week later, I get this reply:

Reply to
jw

Yeah, you are one of those nit-picky consumers that drive the price up for everyone else by bitching when something you bought and kept on a shelf for three years doesn't work all the way up to the last day of the month printed on the can...

Maybe if you stored the stuff better or actually used things like within a few months of buying them you wouldn't have so many problems... Since you can't remember where you bought it from that means you are either forgetful or have had it so long you have lost any reasonable claim to bitch about it not working perfectly -- the foam cured in your can...

If you don't remember where you bought something from, then how do you expect the manufacturer to help you, most of the "replacements" today require submittal of some proof of purchase so that it can be determined whether you bought the item through a legitimate vendor rather than borderline quality control cast offs which are liquidated/disposed of through dollar store or discount chains rather than being wasteful and being destroyed...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

-snip-

I always keep 2 cans for that very reason. And I never just do a single job. When I see a spot that can use some, I make a note of it and write it on a card placed between my 2 cans. When there is enough to use a whole can, I go to work. If the first can fails- I have a backup. IME about one can in 6 is a dud.

The good news is, it is worth $4 to see the mess a full, but apparently worthless can makes when you shoot it with a pellet gun.

Hint-- backup 20-30 feet, and don't have anything you like within a

20 foot diameter. you can triple the 'mess zone' by suspending the can on a 3-4' string.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Losing a customer hurts and can cause them financial strain. I'm selling off my Dow stocks NOW..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Buy the "hardware store inhouse brand" stuff - the foam ingredients are made by DOW - and often the can is even filled by them, but you deal with Ace, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, or whoever - and you can NOT forget where you bought it because it has their logo on it. Usually about 20% cheaper too.

If you think you are saving money by buying from the BORG or other "big box" stores you are stuck with national brand and guessing where you bought it.

Reply to
clare

On the other hand, most Borgs will take back any product they sell even without a receipt. HD for example will simply issue store credit.

As long as it scans into their system, they'll issue a refund.

Since HD sells Great Stuff, the OP could have "returned" it there.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 11/5/2011 12:09 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: However, the can does not

Same happened to me, no receipt. Tried to return it to Lowz and they said they don't sell that size can. Took it to the borg and they happily gave me a new can.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

I learned a LONG time ago, when you use a can of Great Stuff, use the whole can, or toss the left overs. It seldom works the second time. And there are faulty cans, which one can return to the Borg. But I must admit, I will try one on a string with a .22 lr hollow point.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Fill their knickers with the stuff.

Reply to
krw

It isn't critical. It just gives the can some 'swinging room'. Contrary to what I thought when I shot my first one, it doesn't just squirt out. The first one was resting on the ground and jumped all over a 3-4 foot circle spraying in very direction.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:

"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. "If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not like you can get behind the product and push it through the applicator.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm not sure what you mean by "HD is much more lenient".

Either the bar code is in their system and they'll take it back or it's not and they won't. Same with Lowes.

If I'm turned away from the Returns desk at Lowes or HD, I simply take the item to the other one.

What one doesn't take back the other does because I either bought it at one or the other.

BTW...here's an example of how HD isn't so lenient.

A few years ago I bought one of these Husky painters tools, which comes with a lifetime guarantee:

The tool comes with 2 screwdriver bits clipped into the handle.

Last week I cracked the blade while prying something with it, so I took it with me to trade in the next time I went to HD.

When I brought my old (and very beat up) tool along with a new one to the Returns desk to swap them, the clerk took the screwdriver bits out of the new tool because my old one didn't have the bits. She put the bits into the handle off my old tool before putting the "defective" label on it.

Did she really think I was exchanging the old cracked one for a new one just to rip off a couple of screwdriver bits? I just chuckled...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Squeeze the can in a vice for starters.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Drill the can or nozzle. Not a good idea.

Reply to
krw

For all the grief I like to give Home Despot, I have had nothing but exceptional customer service when returning anything to their store, and unlike Lowe's, they actually speak English.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Aren't you being redundant?

Reply to
HeyBub

How cold was it. I had some cans out in the garage and they wouldnt work either until I brought them in the house and let them warm up.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

It's not too tough a thing to learn...I quote from the can:

"GREAT STUFF can seal itself shut. "If product does not flow easily, do not force product from can."

How exactly would one *force* the product from the can if one wanted to? You pull the trigger and it either flows or it doesn't. It's not like you can get behind the product and push it through the applicator.

reply: Vices, hammers, clamps, stomping. Lots of ways. But they all would have consequences..................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It should squirt at least that far. Maybe set up the vise close to the target?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Squeeze like a giant toothpaste tube