Moving Furnace & adding Bathroom in Basement - Cost?

I am thinking of moving the furnace as it's in the middle of the basement and when you enter from upstairs it's right there. If I boxed it in (with doors) it would be in the way. I would like to move it to a corner. Also what about adding a bathroom, ie shower, sink, and toilet. It is roughed in with plumbing. My son-in-law just had the house built and wants me to move in, so I would be getting 2 rooms built and a bathroom. Is this feasible or too costly?

Reply to
Bob Fallona

Its cheap, do it you will be happy.

Reply to
m Ransley

You'll probably have to have it done by a professional. There will be a lot of re-do on the ductwork.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Is it in the middle of the basement because that's where the chimney is? It has to be vented somewhere. Sounds like potentially a very expensive proposition.

Reply to
CAStinneford

Have you considered leaving the furnace and ducts alone and instead changing your stairway? If the stairs lead down straight into the side of what would be your furnace isolation wall, you might be able to turn the stairs to one side or the other before reaching the wall. Or maybe the stairs could be reversed depending on what is on the main floor.

Reply to
Stoney

Yes, I would have a pro do it and I have considered moving stairs, but it wouldn't help much.

Some more details: It is a half basement and I would be using it as a bedroom and tv room. The furnace is just a pain as I would have to enclose it on 4 sides to make the basement look decent. I just want to get a ballpark cost of doing this by a pro and is it reasonible. I could of course call out for estimates, but having no clue of cost don't want to waste a lot of peoples time if the cost was $2000- $4000 I might do it , if cost was $10k -$20k I wouldn't .

Reply to
Bob Fallona

I don't think even $20,000 would cover moving the furnace and building a couple of rooms and a bathroom in the basement.

Reply to
CAStinneford