More wiring questions

One thing I see in print a lot is that many codes require 8 inches of workable wire to extend beyond the face of the electrical box when you install a switch or outlet. This seems to be a lot and is difficult to work with especially if you are using 12/2 wiring in a standard size box. It's a little better with a deeper box, but still seems excessive.

I was wondering whether current codes require that you actually stuff 8 inches of wire into boxes or whether this is what you leave at the rough in inspection stage to be trimmed to fit when switches are actually installed. I am doing some of my own work, but I have had work done here by a real electrician and he is not stuffing in 8 inches of wire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reply to
jimbob
8" from where the wire exits the raceway or sheath. If its in the back of the box and the box is 2" then only 6" out front. If you are using 12-2 then you need to strip the sheath off where its entering the box as soon as you can and not have to deal with all the sheaths on the cable.

Reply to
Tazz

What Tazz said is right. Even so, if I need a new box for a single switch or outlet, I still make it a double. I hate tight boxes, and they only get tighter if you decide to install a dimmer or timer later.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I wonder where you are reading the codes? If memory searves me right, for simple device boxes, it's 6" beyond the sheath/connector and atleast 3" beyond the opening/edge of the box for free ends.

For me, I typically cut my conductor free ends to about 7-8", since I like to help the next guy out when he has to replace a device, or I make a 'mistake'.

Like all NG posts, this isn't a how-to, allways follow all building/elec/fire codes.

later,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great