More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

I bet a 55MPH speed limit in that is a real drag, too! ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yep. I was once ticketed for 60 in a 55 on the 'Jersey Pike. It was only a $15 fine but that was real money to me then. Ohio (particularly Franklin County) was really bad, too, but I never got pulled over there.

There are too many trucks and little old ladies (weenies trying to eek out .1MPG) here. I prefer about 5-7 over the 70 posted but the traffic seems bifurcated at 65 and 85.

Reply to
krw

Bifurcated? What kind of split is that?

.

There are too many trucks and little old ladies (weenies trying to eek out .1MPG) here. I prefer about 5-7 over the 70 posted but the traffic seems bifurcated at 65 and 85.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You roll the windows down when your hand is on your crank? In a way, I guess that makes some sense.

Reply to
krw

That may be the way it is now but 50 years ago things were much simpler. There weren't a lot of Cobras in central Illinois (like one).

Reply to
krw

??? In two.

krw

Said Bill Clinton to young Ms Lewinsky, "We don't want to leave clues like Kaczynski, "Since you looks such a mess, "Use the hem of your dress, "And wipe that stuff off your chinsky!"

Interesting aside: The Clinton Company is the nation's largest manufacturer of gynecological examination tables.

Reply to
HeyBub

The largest county in Texas, Brewster, is 6184 sq miles. The smallest is Rockwell at 127 sq miles. The average county in Texas is 1057 sq miles in area.

Texas has 254 counties (out of 3050 in the whole country). I thought everybody knew that.

We also have 254 Texas Rangers, and not by coincidence.

Reply to
HeyBub

There are three states smaller.

sq miles in

DC is smaller than the average.

More than any other state, fer sure!

Reply to
krw

When I was in Maryland I did it all the time. There were far more than a few times that I walked away clean. I never paid the full fine or took all the points.

The best trick that I found out from a black buddy at work. Send in the card to postpone the trial as close to the last day as you can. That pushes out your court date a couple months. With a little luck you will hit a day the cop is off. If he is awake, he will postpone you back. If not it is a slam dunk, you show up and he doesn't, case dismissed. If he postpones, you postpone him back. That can ping pong a couple times or he might just let it slide once and you get dismissed. If you do end up in court 8 months later, there is a good chance you are not in the notebook the cop brought so you can ask him questions about the arrest he can't answer, Case dismissed.

OK worst case, you take the conviction. Maryland still cut it to one point and that point will not actually process through the bureaucracy for another month but by then, other points have, may have aged off. When it does post it is accrued from the date of the infraction, not the date of conviction so it ages off in 15 months instead of 24.

Those are just a few of the maryland court tricks

I moved to Florida and it is a whole different thing. The judge opened the court by saying "I see I have a bunch of traffic tickets cluttering up my docket. Be aware the maximum fine here is $1000 and I use that as a guideline. If anyone just wants to pay their ticket now, the clerk is over there". Then he called a case (fairly egregious) and threw the book at the guy.

There was a line at the clerk desk..

I saw my cop, I really didn't have a case and I got in line.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was in traffic court twice when I lived in Philadelphia, but it was over 35 years ago. The first time, there were over 100 people waiting for their hearing. Judge walked in, bailiff did the "all rise" thing. Judge got to his seat and asked everyone "how do you plead" and everyone said not guilty. "Dismissed"

Second trip had a crowd, but I was called for my case. As I approached the bench the court stenographer said "with a name like that, he should be dismissed" and I was.

My daughter had a speeding ticket in MA.. She was able to talk to someone and it was to be taken care of. It was, except on the way to court she was speeding and got another ticket.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep and that includes the yo yos who put their cruise at exactly the posted and bcome rolling road blocks.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The ones who piss me off are the ones who don't use the speed control and are constantly changing speed. When trying to overtake them, they speed up and then slow down the instant you give up. Cruise is a great gadget but like everything else, it has to be used properly.

Reply to
krw

You whine about everything.

Reply to
gonjah

Remove the power steering, and I'd feel safe at any speed! I want that sucker to feel like it's on RAILS.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

[..../] IRONY
Reply to
krw

The usual deal is to arrange for a lower charge that is crafted to be a fine only and plead guilty. If not unless you offer spectacular evidence you get the fine and points.

I was in the local magistrates court waiting for a hearing and they called a guy. Judge says "so Mr Smith you are here in regard to a speeding citation?". Guy replies he is. Magistrate says "Officer Jones isn't here so I can either reschedule the hearing or hear it now". Guy replies he wants the hearing to proceed. Magistrate asks "how do you plead?" Guy launches a big story "I was driving my wifes car and wasn't used to the car and wearing heavy boots etc......"

Magistrate replies "guilty". The guy was so fixated on his story that he didn't realize he was getting a gift. Since his accuser was not there he simply needed to reply "not guilty".

Reply to
George

Not quite as smart as her old man, eh?

Reply to
clare

Per The Daring Dufas:

Here in Paoli, PA they have a tricky little system.

You go before a JP to plead and he gives you a choice: plead guilty and pay the fine and get assessed zero points or plead innocent, get found guilty, and get assessed something like 5-10 (I forget...) points. I watched this little charade all day once - maybe 30 people pled... and it was the same thing over-and-over again.

Then, if you want to contest it, you get to go to the county seat about 20 miles away for a court date - but the JP warns everybody in advance that "You will need a lawyer then and lawyers cost a

*lot* of money....".
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I think JPs were replaced by magistrates in PA for quite some time. The main difference is that the winner of the election needs to complete a course and pass an exam in order to be certified.

What you are describing is pleading guilty to the one carefully designed offense in PA (75 3111 (usually Section (A)), obedience to traffic control devices) that has a fine, no points and nothing recorded on your record. It is the same situation you will find yourself in if you negotiate with the officer say through a friend. Unlike the days of JPs they simply can't tear up a ticket so there has to be a disposition.

You need to file with the clerk at the court of common pleas. It costs around $80. The first thing that happens is the magistrates ruling is vacated as if it never happened and you get a scheduled court date. But it makes little sense to do it even yourself unless you have some evidence to present.

Reply to
George