More on Texas' 85-mph speed limit

I got a ticket east of El Paso doing 110. The ticket cost me all the money I had in my pocket. I didn't tell them about my company credit card.

Reply to
gonjah

Rubber band to one of the tires.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I read a "driving documentary" once with statements like:

"In Mexico, never stop unless a policeman draws his gun."

"In Japan, a pedestrian directly in front of your car has the right of way. It is your duty to ensure he never gets there."

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I think Turkey or Egypt are the worst. Mobile wrecks going as fast as possible. They believe every thing is "Inchalla" so they can do what they like, it makes no difference. No seat belts of course. Lima is pretty bad too. Lunatics.

Reply to
harry

Funny, you remind me of when I drove to Florida from Texas. I too got into a group of cars and one 18 wheeler and we drove around 75 to

80mph (in the early 1980s). We all slowed down when the truck slowed down for "good" reason and sped up when he did too. It worked out nicely.
Reply to
Doug

Per The Daring Dufas:

I wonder if they're the same guys that started car surfing:

(PeteCresswell)

Per Oren:

When I drove in Puerto Rico a lot of years ago, I thought it was pretty mellow.

The secret was eye contact... make eye contact, and good things happen.

Turn signals, OTOH, seemed to intimidate people. "What's that

*blinking*????? Better avoid that nutcase."
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

It works out even nicer to stay out of the parade back a hundred yards or so and then you don't need to keep making minor adjustments. Makes for a very relaxed trip.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It is always a puzzle to me when someone slows down when they see a cop. Reality is that if they want you they alredy have you before you saw them. Slowing down is only an admission you were speedign.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I don't go "speedign" on purpose but when I find myself "speedign", I slow down.

Reply to
Bernie Ward

Around here, ppl drive 85mph in a blizzard.

Reply to
frag

Fits the MORON in the subject.

Reply to
clare

When you're doing 110, slowing down is a signal you're not making a run for it. :-)

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Speeders (on icy roads) are the first ones to the accident scene.

Reply to
devnull

Yep, there idea of slowing down is to drop maybe 5 mph (which still will be over the limit). Peple at work have asked me "well, how slow is slow enough". My answer usually is "Slow doown until you think it is safe and then cut that in half and it'll be about right" :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

which is different than slowing down because you saw a cop.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Way back in the early 50s a town cop in Craigmont, Id had a 49 gimmy PU for a squad. Strangers would ignore it an speed by on Main St (US95). He would catch them before the got the 3 blocks out of town. Blown jimmy.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Around 30% less gas mileage at 85 mph

Fat-Dumb and Happy

Suppose your destination is 85 miles away and gas costs $3.00/gallon. At 25 miles/gallon, you get there in one hour at a cost of $10.20.

Now, at 55mph, the trip takes 1.5 hours and $12.75 worth of gas, a $2.55 difference.

So, at the expense of an additional half-hour, you save $2.55 or $5.10 per hour.

If you're going to a job that pays more than about $5/hr, you're financially ahead to drive 85.

Reply to
HeyBub

But that would only be if we are driving a heybub vehicle that can violate the laws of physics and move at a faster speed without requiring additional energy that none of us except you have..

Its pretty simple. It takes increasing amounts of energy to move an object such as a car at a faster speed:

George