More about Roundup

Micky's recent post asking about Roundup inspired this.

Years ago, we planted some Boston ferns around an oak tree. Their purpose was to fill in densely and prevent 1000s of baby oaks from popping up from the roots. The ferns did that admirably; however, they tend to extend their domain into areas where we don't want them. I always controlled that with Roundup.

They are at it again so eight or so weeks ago they were sprayed. No result. Two weeks later they were sprayed again. No result. Two weeks later they were sprayed yet again but with a double strength mix. No result.

I know the Roundup is good, other plants in other areas were sprayed, dead as door nails now. Any idea how/why it isn't affecting the ferns?

Reply to
dadiOH

Partial answer may be here:

They say follow-up treatment is necessary.

Reply to
Frank

Different herbicides tend to work on different plants. That is why some plants need a two prong attack. (Garlon and Roundup is a popular combination, perhaps with a diesel oil wetting agent) We have some weeds here that are very hard to kill.

Reply to
gfretwell

There's a documentary that covers this. complete with remedies. It might be on Youtube, "The fern that ate Tokyo"

Reply to
Micky

My knowledge of ferns is limited but they are different beasties entirely altho I do see there's some susceptibility to glyphosate for various noxious species I see reference to altho they all say repeated application is necessary. I'd suggest ensuring they're actively growing well and use a surfactant.

I did see some references to a resistant strain (not Boston fern specifically, another fern) and there has been some mutation in ag applications where didn't get a complete kill and ragweed and some others that were already hard to kill now have strains that are pretty-much resistant. If you've done this regularly in the past but haven't killed it all, perhaps you've bred a resistant strain there.

Reply to
dpb

try remedy or triox, now called groundclear by Ortho

Reply to
ChairMan

You made GMO Roundup ready ferns LOL.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Under trees & shady, applied in AM, busy growing. We don't get "mild" rains in Florida in the summer :)

The thing that bugs me is that I've killed them back previously - several times - with Roundup. Took longer than normal to die though. Maybe I'll try 2-4D.

Recipe for diaster as any parts left - there would be many - will sprout new plants.

Reply to
dadiOH