Moe about MintMobile

As a community service, I wanted to let even the people on home.repair know more about MintMobile. And of course I'm also posting to comp.mobile.android, where I've learned a lot about cellphones.

1) MintMobile doesn't have monthly billing. They have 3 months, 6 months, and yearly, and it's a cheaper the longer in advance you pay, a lot more than the amount you lose on interest in the bank, even when interest rates were higher.

My year is expiring in 5 days and they sent me a reminder, AND they added that since I use so little data, I might want to get the cheaper plan. Not many vendors of anything do that.

I'm paying $240 a year and the cheapest plan, that they are suggesting is $180. When I signed up 2 years ago, less data was included in my plan, but last January or so they increased the data for maybe every plan so that now the cheaper plan has almost as much data as mine first did.

2) Of course, my password for their webpage didn't work, even though I never changed it. This happens with a lot of webpages. They're changing it without asking me, right, to increase "security"??

What I do then is follow their procedure but change it to whatever it had been, so I don't have to update my notes.

But look at their ridiculous rules: "Please enter a password at least 8 characters long, containing at least 1 uppercase letter, 1 lowercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character."

And they live up to their own standards. This was the ridiculous temporary password: g_*tgsBV7*

3) they also have Wifi Talk and Text, which they promote for places with bad cellular service, but maybe you can use it anywhere there is wifi and thus not use up your data. Is that right? They don't say a word about whether it is free or not. Is it typically free? And it's only for some models of phone. I don't see how they can keep their list current. And I don't see on my phone how to turn it on. Maybe that means I haven't got it?

4) Another interesting thing about them: I was trying to make whatsapp calls to two foreign countries, one where my nephew is living, and afaict, you can't use whatsapp unless you've already put the number in your contact list. I hadn't done that and I'm 99% sure that some of the

5 calls I ended up just dialing. (They wouldn't be listed as calls at all if I'd used Whatsapp, right?) I wondered who paid for them, and by golly their webpage has a list.

I made 3 calls totaling 9 minutes at 2.5c a minute to one, and 2 calls totaling 3 minutes at 1.5c a minute, and yet they charged me 0.00 for each of them. Huh? I thought they had no way to charge me until I was reminded today they have a Wallet where you deposit $5, 10 in advance to pay for extra data AND international phone calls. But I've never put any money in. So maybe they gave me the calls for free anyhow, only 27 cents' worth, but I would have expected a text or email saying that, and urging me to put money in the Wallet. Or insisting for next time.

But I'd be glad to pay. The rates are certainly low enough.

On the yearly plan I'm on there is a $17.75 Recovery Fee and 3.46 per year in fed, state, and local taxes**. I guess it's worth $18 to recover from that prostate procedure I had. Or what is the Recovery Fee? It went up in 2019 from $10.25 in 2018. The taxes went up from $2.68.

**I read 18 months ago that the Baltimore County budget was suggesting a $3.50/month tax on cell phones, and I wondered how they would find me to tax me. But maybe they will. Maybe they have, unless 3.46 is just a federal tax**. The proposal is per phone line, so if you have a spouse and two children, that's $168/year. So some say people would be taxed for having more kids. (Really, if the service only is 20/month, $3.50 is a 17% tax. This might have not been regressive when only rich people had cell phones but now there are iiac more cellphones than real phones.) OTOH, Baltimore County has lost $5 million a year in taxes on landlines. OT3H, with 800,000 people and what, at least 400,000 cell phones, at $3.50, they'd take in over 12 million. Wait, my estimate is way low: it says 700,00 cell phones and 83,000 prepaid phones would yield $30 million. 783,000 cell phones for a litle more than 800,000 people. Even if they use different standards for who lives in Balt. County, that's amazing.)

**I read that in 2013, the fed tax was 5.8%. That alone would be $16 in tax but mine is only $3.46. So is the $16 tax embedded in the 240 charge, or whose tax is $3.46? Maybe no one's, they're just keeping it?

Reply to
micky

A year or so ago Trader-4 put me on to the Mint Mobile. Sofar it has worked fine for my usage. I seldom use any data so the least expensive plan worked for me. By putting in a code he gave me, he got some 'phone money' back and I got some for the renewal. I think I may have hit 20 % of my data one month. With certain phones it will do wifi call and data from what I understand. I just do not do that much with a phone. I do pay by the year mainly to not have to fool with billing as it is not that much. As pointed out, there is almost no way to come out leaving that money in the bank for interist.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, Erols bills me for email privileges only $4/month, and even though it's deducted automatically, the monthly thing annoys me

Yes, you also lose money if you want to change in the middle of the year or if you die. So I'm going to try to die as close to October 23 as possible, but not later than that.

One can buy more data if need be iirc $5 for a gig and $10 for 3gigs, more than if you paid in advance, but I should probably rely on that.

Roaming outside the country is still expensive. Same for two disparate, distant countries I looked at, Voice Rate per Min SMS Rate per SMS Data Rate per MB Peru $0.25 $0.05 $0.20

Unless I'm confuaed that's $200 a gigabyte, and $15 an hour to talk.

Reply to
micky

Cut a bunch. Mint Mobile doesn't serve Nebraska. I think it runs on Sprint's Network. U.S. Mobile does cover Nebraska. It runs on Verizon's Network. I think it offers similar deals to Mint Mobile. I just left PagePlus because I think I'll be better off with U.S. Mobile. So, if you ever want to see the balloon painted water tower in York, the flying saucer tower in Ogallala, or Ole's bar in Paxton, skip Mint Mobile. Then there are the Sandhills, some of the nicest scenery around. Cattle ranches and miles of open spaces.

Lest I forget, the golf course by Mullen is 9th ranked nationally.
One can always travel through Nebraska between the tornadoes and blizzards without a cell phone. People did that in the Model T days and most survived.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Mint Mobile seems pretty good !

" Mint Mobile is a cell phone service provider in the United States but offers no service to the Canadian market. The brand is famously known to be owned and promoted by Vancouverite Ryan Reynolds. "

My retirement phone plan hasn't changed in 10 years - nor my usage. I only replaced the original Nokia flip-phone last year ! :-) I pay $ 100. per year < Canadian > for pay-as-you-go with zero data. The unused balance carries over, provided it's renewed before the time period has elapsed. I think I have a balance of ~ $ 300. or so. This non-plan would be ridiculous for most people - - but perfect for me. John T.

Reply to
hubops

While Maine, Wyoming, Colorado and states west of there have the most areas not covered by MintMobile at all, Nebraska and Iowa have the most areas in the coverage map where they don't have, I guess, G4, only G3, but at ;east on this 3rd party map,

in both casee, there are very few spots that don't have G3. Maybe the lack of G4 is the reason they don't sell in Nebraska.

So I could make pphone calls but for the map iirc I need G4

Maybe I can get a map from a tourist office when I drive into Nebraska?

It is on my list of places to go. I've never been to states north or west of Missouri (except Oklanhome, Texas, N. Mexico, Arizona and Nevada) and I'd like to go to all 48.

Actually every state has a tourist office listed in google and they'll send you a map and other stuff for free. Allow 2 months.

No towers to spoil the view.

A good plan.

Reminds me of the lost chapter of Grapes of Wrath, where the Joad's in-laws get confused and drive from Oklahoma to Nebraska. Their truck breaks down and they end up staying in Wichita.

Reply to
micky

Another satisfied customer. :) Good to hear you're happy. I got the $30 credit from your referral, that's a plus. On the downside, I referred someone else and they got nothing, I got nothing. I wasted an hour with customer service over that. They acknowledged that I was calling about a new customer, had the information, but refused to admit that they screwed up. Finally they offered to give me the $30 and the referral $15, but would not have it count towards the increasing payout for new referrals. That is where each additonal one increases the payout. Also, some of what they claimed on my calls with them was BS. They claimed that the referral code changes each time. Yet on their website it says to take the code assigned to you and share it any way you like, by social media, online, or snail mail. So, how could the code change?

It really pissed me off and like I told them, it changed me from being a very positive Mint Mobile customer into a big negative. IMO now they are not to be trusted pond scum.

Reply to
trader_4

Mint runs on T Mobile

Reply to
trader_4

My Mint uses T-Mobile. Supposedly that's available in Grand Island, Lincoln, and around Omaha. It's adequate around here although I think Verizon is a little better. Like Nebraska there are areas of Montana without enough people for anyone to build cell infrastructure. It''s getting better, at least along the highway corridors.

Reply to
rbowman

I also use MintMobile and I've been very happy with them.

Reply to
Ken Blake

You can die exactly on October 23, if you want to. It's not that hard. <g>

Reply to
Ken Blake

Good. I tend to always wait until the last minute.

Reply to
micky

But, please, don't use a firearm. We don't need any more inflated statistics.

Reply to
rbowman

Is there an app for that?

Reply to
micky

You screwed up! It' now October 24. You missed your deadline.

Reply to
Ken Blake

Can't you kids do anything without your cell phone?

Dean Hoffman

Maybe there will be an app by next year.

Reply to
micky

I see Mint now has a $30 a month unlimited high speed plan. They call it unlimited, but it slows after 35GB a month. That's the price if you pay for it a year in advance. It's odd, I didn't get anything from Mint about it and I'm a customer.

If anyone is interested in Mint, let me know here, I can get you a $15 referral credit when you open a new account.

Reply to
trader_4