Metal Window Flashing

Does anyone have any experience flashing a window using metal (galvanized) flashing? I am replacing aluminum windows with some nice Andersen wood windows on a one story brick veneer siding and having trouble deciding the best way to flash the window. I have already done one window and used flashing tape on the sill, galvanized step flashing on the sides and one piece galvanized metal flashing on the top. The problem was the flashing tape I used on the sill was not easy to get between the brick and sheething, metal flashing seems like the perfect fit in this situation but I don't know the details like how do you make it water tight at the sill corners (don't really want to use caulk) and would the galvanized flashing need to be painted (I did not think it would but doing some google searching seems to suggest it)? Keep in mind I am having to cut off the window flange on the windows since I can't remove the brick and I am not using brick mold.

To be honest I could probably just caulk between the window and brick and not worry about using flashing (that is what one of the installers suggested, and why I am doing this myself :-) but I am very paticular and want to make sure that I flash it the best that I can before I install the window. I have searched for months on the net and can't seem to find anything about using metal flashing on windows, just the roof. Wasn't metal flashing standard before they developed flashing tape?

Thanks for any help..

Reply to
rbmllm

Check the 'This Old House' archives. IIRC, there are some articles on window installation that might be pertinent. In our area aluminum flashing seems to be the most common product and in your case might be easier to install than a galvanized flashing. IMO, anything like tape or flashing that directs water away from potential trouble spots is a good thing HTH

Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks. I am pretty sure I have checked there but will look again.

Reply to
rbmllm