MDF as Underlayment for Laminate

I plan on replacing my counter tops. I will be using plywood for the laminate on the horizontal surfaces but am wondering if MDF can be used for the back splash. Any comments or suggestions?

Reply to
Stu

Stu,

I just went through this thought process. I have only done a few lamination jobs. My last before this one was 17 years ago.

I settled on 7 ply plywood for the splash as well as the countertop because I could not convince myself that the edges of the MDF would hold the laminate. AND this was a job I never wanted to do or do again.

Be sure to double coat the raw sanded edges whichever you choose.

Maybe another poster with more experience will offer a better suggestion.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

surely glass or tile would be more durable?

Reply to
ODB

See my page:

Richard J Kinch

Thanks for the tips Richard (excellent site BTW). I'll be starting this project tomorrow with MDF.

Reply to
Stu

MDF is just fine for a countertop. Better in my opinion than plywood, because plywood can delaminate. Use an ample amount of contact cement on the edges starting by one coat thinned then, when it has dried overnight, another two coats of regular consistency contact cement.

In most cases, regular particle board is a good way to go.

Reply to
Robatoy