Maytag gas range problem

I have a Maytag gas range Model # MGR5875QDS and after every power outage in my area the display on the control panel is blank. It does not matter which button your press on the control panel nothing works but the igniters for the range top burners work so there is power to the range. After about 4 to 5 hours the display starts to work and the range is fully functional again. Is there a thermal fuse that needs to be reset or is faulty or is the control panel faulty and needs to be replaced? Thank you in advance for any input.

Reply to
KW

IDK, that's a very weird one. Only thing I can think of is that it has some defect in the reset circuit on the control board. They might have some RC circuit that holds the chip in reset for a period of time after power first comes up. You don't want digital logic to start running when power has only come up to 50%, 70%, etc. So you hold it off from starting with a reset circuit for some number of milliseconds. If they are using a capacitor, it's possible it's aged and failing, but still you'd think it would charge up in a few seconds, not hours.

But I can tell you this, unless you want to spend a lot of $$$ for a new control board, and/or your power goes out frequently, might as well just put up with. From what I've heard, it sounds like maybe the oven wouldn't be usable for a few hours, but otherwise the burners work. You can find the cost of a new control board online. If you can DIY, that would hold down the cost. Note I'm assuming it's the control board, it's logical that's where the problem is, but without seeing a schematic and/or testing, that's just the likely culprit.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to KW, Bob G wrote: No idea how to fix it. I'd consider getting a cheap UPS to plug it into if you get frequent outages.

Reply to
Bob G

You should have hit SEND right after your first sentence ;-)

Reply to
Wade Gattett

If there is space to put one, it may actually work. Gas ranges don't take much power. We get an occasional 5 second blip and the clock has to be reset. If the oven was out of use for four hours and you have a half baked cake, it would be a loss.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's a possible solution, you and the other poster are right, a gas stove doesn't take much power, it's 120V. My only concern would be where do you locate the UPS at the stove and how hot it gets when the oven is in use. Me, I'd probably just put up with it.

Reply to
trader_4

don't be so sure about the "don't take much power" (lectricity).

It's pretty common for the gas range tops to use a spark ignior that shuts off once you've started and then adjusted the flame, but...

... but, many gas stoves use an electric glow/heat plate which is on _the entire time_ the oven gas is cycled on [a]. And these can pull hundreds of watts. Steadily.

[a] most gas ovens, to my surprise when I first discovered this decades ago, are "fully on/fully off" [b] and the thermostat controls the cycle duration. [b] the older, non-electric-ignition ones, might keep a small pilot light running the whole time you're using it. .
Reply to
danny burstein

We had to get rid of a seven year old Maytag electric range a while back because of the panel and oven temperature sensor. PITA and now I see they put them on gas ranges.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Just checked the nameplate on my range. 5 amps.

As for placement, my last stove had space in the back if you had it on the floor. You could put it in the cabinet next to the stove too. Ideal would be to find the reason it takes four hours, of course, but a $40 UPS is cheaper than a $400 circuit board.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And that's assuming it's on and I'd bet the actual is quite a bit less. When not on, it's probably an order of magnitude less. If the OP used one, the stove could likely go for a long time on a modest UPS if it was not used. And if used for 10 minutes to heat up something, it pulls max 600W for that period.

Agree

But I don't see the problem worth fixing. The igniters work as soon as the power comes back on. That means at least the burners work, not sure about the oven. I could live with that, at least here the power doesn't go out enough that it's a big deal.

Reply to
trader_4

The boards in Maytag ranges have a pretty bad reputation so I am not shocked it is bad. My FIL's electric does the same thing but I am not sure about how many hours it is. I just know it takes a while before it comes back to life.

Reply to
gfretwell