Alternative to Vinyl Downspout Extentions

The only flexible downspout extensions that are available in the local supply stores are made from vinyl.

The problem with vinyl extensions, in my experience, is that they only last a few months before they are cracked and fractured in multiple places. I don't know if its exposure to the sun, cold, or what but they crack and need to be replaced very often.

Is there a durable alternative or is vinyl the only material available for flexible downspout extensions?

I can't cobble together several rigid aluminum extensions because I need to swing the whole unit around to move cars, trim grass, etc.

Reply to
F Russell

IDK, what vinyl product you're using. I have both the 4" corrugated round flexible black pipe as well as some smaller green flexible ones that have a rectangle end that fits the downspouts. Used both, IDK what they are made from, but they've lasted many years, 10+, with no cracking. Bought them at HD or Lowes, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

This is an example. I see these at every store and nothing else:

When stretched apart the material joining each segment is seen to be very thin, and this is where the cracking/breakage will occur.

Reply to
F Russell

Sounds like your project is screaming for a Channel Drain and some buried pipe. Maybe run the drain across your yard into your neighbors?

Ra-jah Cook

Myabe you have them stretched out almost to the max so that when bent and when swung around there is even more tension on the flex areas.

Reply to
micky

"Stretching" may not be the best word to use.

The extensions are composed of many collapsed segments. To lengthen the pipe, one or more of these segments can be un-collapsed, or pulled apart.

But for each segment it is either all or nothing. That is, the segment is either collapsed or pulled apart maximally. There is no half-way or partial-way point.

It seems, however, that I am the only one experiencing this problem.

I suspect that it is the sunlight. All my extensions are on the north side and exposed to the sun all day. Vinyl is supposed to contain additives that resist UV but maybe these do not.

Reply to
F Russell

Mostly shaded here, so that could very well be the difference.

Reply to
trader_4

I've been using these for years in full sunlight.

Vic Smith

My garage drained into my driveway. I sent it opposte into neighboors yard. He put in concrete drain runoff. I put a 20 bill next to it. He hates me.

Reply to
Thomas