Need advice - getting exterior of house painted

I checked Google groups and this group to see if my questions have been answered and didn't find what I was looking for.

I am in Southern Arizona, Tucson to be exact. We're at about 2300 feet, with temps ranging from around 20 degrees F to 110 degrees F. We have a 2-3 month monsoon season during which the dew point is over 50 on a daily basis, but the remainder of the year is fairly dry.

We have a 2300 sq. ft. one story stucco house with wood facia. The house was built in 2001, so the wall paint is still ok, but the trim is starting to look pretty bad, and cracking in spots. The sun is brutal here. We also have some efflorescence on all sides except the north.

I just got a bid from a highly recommended painter for $2675 for the entire house (trim and walls). This includes caulking, stucco repairs, facia repairs, drywall repairs, power wash, masking, trenching, and spot priming as needed.

He wants to use Sherwin Williams A-100 line, satin finish on facia and all trim (doors, etc) and flat on the rest. I should mention that part of the trim would be stucco because we have this raised detail work along the bottom part of the house in the front. I don't know how to describe that better.

I have been told by the Dunn Edwards dealer in town that using satin finish on trim is a bad idea because it will not hold up as well. Is this true?

Also, should we choose a different paint? I will pay more to get the best possible paint for my situation. I don't want this job looking bad in a couple of years.

Thanks very much for any advice, and apologies because I know it's all been asked before.

Dawn

Reply to
stepdawn

the a-100 line is not listed for stucco on their web site they do list this

The result of advances in acrylic technology. Duration uses PermaLast technology to provide you with the most durable and longest lasting coating available for protecting the outside of your home. .Performance: One Coat Protection - Self-Priming - Easy Application - Superior Hiding - Thicker - More Flexible. Resists Blistering and Peeling. Protects: Home Windows, Gutters and Trim, Architectural plastics, such as shutters & gutters. Surfaces: Wood - Stucco - Masonry/Cement Composition Panels - Aluminum Siding - Vinyl Siding - Galvanized Metal. Mildew Resistant. This coating contains agents that inhibit the growth of mildew on the surface of this coating.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

found this chart also

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. In the chart you sent, the A-100 is listed for stucco, but I do like the sound of the Duration better. I am going to see what his price quote would be for that. But I have heard that Sherwin Williams has gone down in quality, so I am hoping that someone will chime in with an opinion on that.

Reply to
stepdawn

check consumer reports and see if they have done any recent tests

Found this site

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

I have no clue about the satin finish other than to note there are no new homes here in Phoenix that have satin on the trim, all flat. If you have an HOA you had better check with them about colors. Mine gets really pissy about that.

I found this link but have not gotten an answer to my direct questions about the product.

I do have a friend that had her home painted with something similar. But the daughter moved back in and now the previous energy consumption is out the window. I am some what skeptical about this. How can anything so thin, 20-40 mills help a lot.

Anyone try this or something like it?

Reply to
SQLit