Manual reel mower blade adjujstment problem

I have a newer push mower, 20", Scotts Classic, this one

The problem is that I can't get the blades adjusted. If I tighten them to the point where they will cut a piece of paper, they are so tight that the rear tracking wheels will lift off of the ground and I get a very uneven cutting height. Any looser and it doesn't cut well and still lifts up the rear wheels. Any looser and it doesn't cut. I've had push mowers before, and have never had a problem adjusting the blades. I'm really quite dissapointed with this thing. Before I put it on the sidewalk with a Free Mower sign, does anyone have any advice or comments about this mower?

Reply to
Zootal

Here is the trick:

Loosen the blade and file part at the ends where the reel doesn't touch. You'll see a small ridge there. That is where it's binding. To sharpen the blade, after you file off the ridges, take off one wheel and put a small nut under the ratchet pawl. That will allow the reel to turn backwards. Put the wheel back on. Coat the edges of the reel with valve grinding compound and pull the mower backwards up side down. Adjust the blade to get it flat and if the blade is really rough on the edge, file it flat first.

Al

Reply to
Big Al