Best reel mower to buy?

I think I can mow my small lawn with an old fashion reel mower

Any advice on best NEW reel mowers to buy?

Reply to
me

Growing bentgrass now are we?

Reply to
Steveo

Are you interested in a powered reel mower, or a manual mower? I have had good success with the standard 18" manual unit I purchaed at Home Depot.

Never refuses to start, no need to go out and get fuel, no bagger, you can cut any time of day without bothering the neighbors, etc. A perfect solution if you can cut your grass more often than you'd need to with a powered mower. That is the big disadvantage to a manual reel mower - if the grass gets tall, you're outta luck.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Manual reel mower only

What brand/model you have?

Reply to
me

I found one of the 18" models of these at a yard sale and would buy it new...

but depending on where you are, you should call them and ask about shipping cost. It may be prohibitive.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Wow

Wish I could find such a thing at a yard sale!

Reply to
me

I've been wondering about good reel mowers too. I've been using a

5-blade Craftsman for many years. It's OK but has shortcomings.

I was just about to buy an electric rotary, but with their drawbacks, I'm considering a better reel mower.

better mowers don't have scissors-like contact between the blade and whatever the blade has contact with. Apparently this lack of contact makes Brill mowers easier to push, and need little sharpening. Quieter too, not that noise is an issue either way.

also see Mclane mowers that have the reel as wide as the wheel width, which should eliminate the annoying "can't mow near the edges" feature of reel mowers. But a review I read talked of needing to sharpen it. See the bottom mower on this page. They only seem to have photos of the powered ones.
a good reel mower cut the type of grass that doesn't grow vertically? Mine doesn't do it very well.

Will it cut stalks that shoot up from the lawn? Mine won't.

Anybody here have sucess with difficult grass with a reel mower?

Reply to
myusenetacct