Grandma won a twin-pack of these at a church function and gave them to
They have 3 ways of being mounted: screws, double stick tape and a
small magnet built into the base.
I was thinking of slapping one on the bottom of my electrical meter
housing just to see how well it will light up the walkway as I round
the corner of my house.
Does anybody see any issues with having a small magnet in such close
proximity to the meter?
What did your power company say? They can get rather upset if they
discover it undocumented. Since by 'housing' you likely mean meter
base, the magnets should have no effect at all, and the power company
ought to confirm that. If they balk at having anything on the
enclosure, then Plan B should be a piece of sheet metal nailed to the
siding to mount the device. Cheers,
Thanks for the response.
I didn't ask the power company 'cuz I know what they'll say. They'll
say "No!" just as a CYA.
Yes, I mean the meter base, and No I'm not nailing a piece of sheet
metal to the siding. <g>
I've been in the house for over 20 years and never really needed a
light along this walkway, but I've always been on the lookout for
something real easy to install just for the fun of it. Where I've
actually needed/wanted light, I've done a proper installation, per
As soon as I saw that these were battery operated and had a magnetic
mount, I knew right where I wanted to try one. I may like it but I may
not even replace the batteries when they die. That's how unimportant
this installation is.
So, remember "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission" and go
on--what they gonna' do other than take if off or tell you to if they
don't like it?
If as you asy you don't care about losing it, I'd go for the magnet and
see if it helps for the short term then probably use the tape if decided
to leave it there.
As long as it doesn't interfere w/ the meter until it gets replaced or
there's other reason to actually do something other than read it I'd
suspect they would let it go, especially if it is the tape rather than a
magnet that could conceivably be thought a (rather farfetched) attempt
at skewing readings.
imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., etc., ...
Shouldn't cause a problem if it's stuck to the metal housing. The
housing will confine the magnetic field.
Brings to mind what some cheats used to do way back when...Used a great
big old alnico magnet taped onto the meter glass to slow down the shaded
pole motor action of the disk.
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:18:19 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
I don't see an issue.
You can test the magnet in proximity to the spinning dial, on the
meter. Any reduction in speed? If so move it away.
New gadgets, let you read your own meter from the comfort of the
desktop PC. They are mounted at or near the meter.
Catch the meter reader, and tell what the gadget is for.
In the UK, following WWII (which is when the magnetron was invented by
Sir Robert Watson Watt as a device to generate substantial amounts of
microwave energy; he being another Scotsman, like alexander Graham
Bell, by the way), surplus magnets were available and could often be
bought for as little as few English shillings!
Magnets iin those days were much larger and these 'ex-radar' magnets
were in the form a large 'horsehoe'. Today microwave oven magnetrons
have smaller powerful magnets.
Someone bought one of the surplus magenets and on the way home dropped
into his 'local'. Many in the pub were intrigued and spent time
picking up or attracting anything around that was magnetic.
Until closing time! When several found that their watches had stopped.
Not many pocket or wrist watches in those days were 'non-magnetic'. So
they weren't very pleased to have to have their watches de-magnetized!
BTW early basic (non-microwave) radar was in use in 1939/1940 and
helped greatly to defend Britain against air attacks.
And yes 'talk' was that those magnets could stop rotary disc type
meters; which in those days were often mounted inside the house!
But, alas, the experiment was a failure. The device doesn't throw much
light and doesn't come on in time to be much of a help.
They both now reside in a linen closet that's darker than I like. Open
the door, the lights come on, close the door and 15 seconds later they
go off. I'll decide if I'll replace the batteries once I see how long
There was an outfit that once sold "iron gonads".
The things were big magnetic "balls" with a cord
that you hung over your electric meter. The balls
were purportedly able to slow down an electric
meter due to their strong magnetic field. I had a
friend who once worked for the local power company
and he told me that a regular degaussing coil for
CRT style TV's would knock the old style meters
out of whack. One pass may speed one up and the
next pass may slow it down.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.