Lumber Liquidators laminate flooring

Back in the old days they used whiskey for almost everything.

I heard soaking foot in bleach water will kill it. I'm not sure how strong it needs to be. Maybe there is something on the web...

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Bleach strong enough to kill foot fungus will burn your feet off.

Reply to
clare

Clever evasion but would you install that stuff in your house?

Reply to
Jimmy

The CA test procedure is interesting too. It requires that the top layer of the laminate be removed to fully expose the inside core where the fomaldehyde is before testing. So, who knows what actual level exists in the air of a typical building, for how long, etc with the actual product, as installed.

Reply to
trader_4

Dumb question. I don't need it.

Reply to
Frank

I had not gotten into the weeds on this but that is a very unrealistic test procedure.

I am familiar with some painting tests where people were concerned about a carcinogen in paints made from vinyl acetate. Turned out it was in the can when manufactured but when paint was used it was completely absent as it had reacted with other ingredients in the paint.

Reply to
Frank

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:14:44 -0800, Oren wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

I'm reminded of Katrina trailers. Long story short we ended up with two of them (for free) took one to the fish camp the other to the deer camp. Can't sleep in either one so both are dead storage.

Reply to
NotMe

So is that a yes or a no? It doesn't matter if you need it. Knowing what you know now would you install it in your home? Yes or no?

Reply to
wg_2002

Maybe Frankie-Wankie is one of those "expert" witlesses that says whatever UltraMegaChemical Corp pays him to say?

Reply to
Weasel

My mother had a fungus on a big toe nail. The doctor gave her something, but it didnt' do much (which from her pov was equivalent to doing nothhing). This was 50 years ago.

Eventually the whole nail fell off, and the new one grew back fine.

Well, maybe whatever he gave her did have something to do with that.

Reply to
micky

I was a fortunate guy for a long time. I walked in bare feet on motel carpets (which my mother said was a bad thing to do. Athlete's foot?) and in gym locker rooms iirc. I never wore sandals in gym showers, and I never had athletes foot until I was over 50.

Even then it was only between two specific toes and never got bad. After a couple years it was 2 or 3 places on one foot, but never on the other foot, even if I rubbed the bad spots on the bad foot, and then used the same fingers to rub the same spots on the good foot.

But after 2 or 3 more years, it got to he other foot.

It got so bad I swiped my brother's mostly used bottle of Desenex and used that, which cured me for about 3 days. (one application. I always meant to put it on every day for a while to see if the cure would last longer. )

Finally the bottle ran out. and at the supermarket they had more than one product for this. And cheaper than Desenex. I didnt' want an aerosol can -- the last thing I want to do is breathe that stuff -- but that's what I got. I press the button as lightly as possible and hold my other hand around the spray, and it really doesn't reach my nose.

Voila, 10 days' cure from one application. Finally remembered to use it two days in a row, and it's been at least 30 days. Different active ingredient from Desenex. I suppose more than one kind of fungus causes athlete's foot, but it seems it can help to change what one uses. If anyone cares, let me know and I'll find out what is in this stuff and post it. I think it's the house brand for Maryland Giant supermarkets, so I couldn't find a webpage for it.

Reply to
micky

In high school I tried to let my ingrown big toenails grow out, but all that happened was they got infected and hurt tremendously if I touched a front corner against anything.

The doctor had me soak my feet every night in a dishpan full of water and potassium permanganate. Turned my feet dark red, but never helped the infection. I read later that it never helps an infection, but some people though it did.

He also had me apply hydogen peroxide, and that didnt' help either. Later I read that despite what some people though H202 does not kill germs. It's useful for puncture wounds because it generates oxygen down in the puncture, which is good for it, but that's all it does.

The same GP diagnosed me with epilepsy when I didn't have it. I took pills for that too for 3. 4. maybe 5 months.

This is all in the early 1960's and he was about 60 years old. But he never charged us for some reason. I saw his ledger once, and he only charged about 2/3rds of the people he saw that day. And all I had to do was mention that my mother hadn't had her polio booster shot, and he nodded at his nurse, who got a vial out of the refigerator, filled a syringe, handed it to him, and within 90 seconds of my remark, she had her shot, no charge.

Reply to
micky

I only heard about 3 words, but I consider 60 Minutes an alarmist program, and untrustworthy. I know less about 20-20 and the other networks' similar programs. But I think there are not really enough terrible scandals to supply 156 or 208 a year for the 3 or maybe 4 such shows.

And 60 Minutes makes do by using an ominous tone of voice.

It's been decades since I became suspicious. One of their stories was about a guy suing a small city newspaper in Illiinois for libel and of coursd the court papers referred to the newspaper's publishing the libelous words. And 60 Minutes 2 or 3 times said that they had only included the words in a letter, they hadn't published them in the newspaper. Any law student who passed torts, a first year course, knows that publishing does not require a newspaper. That writing a letter IS publication. It's THE term for how one spreads libel, and that includes a mere letter or anything written. And the words don't have to be seen by everyone who reads a newspaper., if it the words are false and the letter is read by someone who then costs the plaintiff money**. If they didnt have an in-house lawyer look over the story, they should have hired an outside lawyer for an hour, instead of white-washing the newspaper.

**(Plus iirc one is entitled to a money judgment if the llibel accuses one of a crime or a disgusting disease, whether the plaintfiff suffers financial loss or not.)
Reply to
micky

It's a bit ot for home repair, but i'd expect at least one or two people will benefit. Please do post your findings.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The currently popular treatment is laser....heats the nail bed enough to kill the fungus and takes about 3 treatments. Don't know the data on effectiveness.

Reply to
Norminn

I don't completely trust 60 Mins or any other news source for that matter. And there are very good reasons to be concerned with this story, because a hedge fund that has sold short the stock is involved with an environmental group and they are suing LL. The day after the story, LL stock dropped 25%. Potentially that could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the hedge fund. I think 60 Mins had an obligation to ask the hedge fund manager if he currently was short the stock. They interviewed him, but never asked. So, there's that troubling angle.

But if you watched the whole thing, it's hard to dismiss the hidden camera part where 60 Mins went to the factories in China that produce the product for LL and posed as buyers looking for product for another company. The plant managers openly told them that the product they make doesn't meet the California CARB standard. They asked if it could be made to meet it, managers said, "that would be very expensive". Yet the product they are building for LL is labeled as CARB compliant. That's pretty powerful proof that the essence of the story is correct.

There was one other big avenue that 60 Mins didn't pursue, or if they did, didn't report on. LL CEO has what he says is test data from the lab they use to check CARB compliance. He showed a chart that shows all the tests are under the CARB levels, fully compliant.

60 Mins used a lab that says it;s actually ~2x to ~15X over the limit for formaldehyde. You would think 60 Mins would go to the lab LL used and try to figure out if there is an explanation for the huge difference, what that lab has to say, etc. But there was nothing.
Reply to
trader_4

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com posted for all of us...

Soak it incider

Reply to
Tekkie®

There is usually third party inspection for compliance, but that is a joke. If you want to cheat, there are many ways around it. The lab probably did test compliant parts. That, however, has little to do with the parts shipped every day.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, I agree, there are many ways. But it still is a big missing piece of the story. It would have been very easy to go try to talk to the lab and see what they have to say. If they're honest, you would think they would be willing to take a 60 mins sample, test it and see what they get. That would be interesting, for sure. If they agree with the 60 mins numbers, then it would suggest that it's some sample switching, like you suggest. If they don't get those high numbers, then the obvious question is what's different in the tests.

Looks like Congress is going to get involved now too. That should be interesting.

Reply to
trader_4