What kind of Owl was in my barn?

There was a small owl on my barn a few nights ago. It was very cold outdoors, so I guess it came in to warm up. It was sitting on a wall mounted hay feeder, and did not seem concerned that I was near it. I was feeding my horses, and I was about 8 feet away from it, when I saw it. I got as close as about 3 feet, just to look at it. I did not want to scare it outdoors in this cold so I did not get closer.

It stood about 7 inches tall, had a face looking almost like a house cat, with large eyes and ears a little more narrow than a cat, but about as long (tall), compared to body size. The face was flat, just like a cat too. The body was about as thick as that of a common pigeon, and had stripes on it. It was a cute little critter.....

At one point, one of my horses came over by me to see if I had any treats, and the owl moved it's head and followed the horse, and it did thee same when I moved, but it did not seem scared.

I'm trying to identify the breed. There is a website with 18 owl photos, I have eliminated all the ones that lack ears, and a few more with bizarre looking faces.

The one which looks the closest is the "Eastern screech owl", but that site dont tell their size...,.. THe "Eurasian eagle owl", and "Great horned owl" also have a similar look, but those are both large owls, so I can eliminate them.

This owl (the one i saw) was seen in the Midwest, USA. Any idea what I had in my barn?

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

If it was around that long you could have taken a picture...it would be a bit easier than your description.

We had a pair of barred owls (juveniles) by us last year...

bob_villa

Based on your description, the "Eastern Screech" is almost certainly the "culprit".

Although it MIGHT have been seeking shelter, it seems more likely to me that it was looking for dinner. They're good rodent-removal units.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Normally I would have taken a picture, but I was half frozen. And the camera was in the house. We had a Windchill of -25 to -35 F. The barn is 130 yards from the house and once I exited the barn and hit that cold wind, I knew I was not going back outdoors once I got in the house.

In the barn, even though the door is open on the South, (so the horses can go in and out), it's still a lot warmer and the wind is not there. Plus I have built in hand warmers in the barn, (the horses manes), and they were all huddled indoors, because horses do not like winds.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Given the size, it was a screech owl.

Reply to
dadiOH

I think you're right. I have looked at more websites and that is the only breed that fits the size and appearance, and is found in the US.

Great, I hope it stays around. I hate mice and rats, and they are a huge problem around here.

In the summer, the barn always has "Barn Swallows". I welcome them too, because they get rid of lots of flys and mosquitos. They are kind of aggressive and like to dive-bomb people, but I've never yet had one hit me. It's more show than action! But I did have one get really obnoxious some years back. She had a nest on the rafters, but she nearly flew in my face. I quick spray with the garden hose put an end to that. Afterwards she stayed above my head, and after a week or two, she seemed to get used to me, and just stayed in the nest and did not get bothered by me anymore.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Hooo gives a hoot. : )

Reply to